Main > The Armoury

Ed's c.1250-1300 kit(s)

<< < (6/56) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yeah, te zig-zag uses a bit more, but not as badly as what I did on the blue/white surcoat, where I used a pattern that created diamond-shapes with a double zig-zag... that used thread like crazy.

I've been trying to get the dragon figured out before tackling the torse. I have some decorative rope material to try making a torse from. And I have the dragon painted blue... I'll probably do a clear coat tonight. I still have to figure out how to attach it, so I may not have that done before Saturday, and of course I wanted to do that before the torse.

Feels good to be making some progress again! :)

Sir Edward:

I made progress on the crest tonight. I don't think it'll be ready for Saturday, and the reason is that my plan for how to attach it isn't working as well as I'd hoped. Probably salvageable, though it may be more of an occasional-wear sort of thing rather than all-day-at-the-faire sort of thing.

I've been trying to build it to use magnets to hold it on. I bought some strong little "rare earth" magnets. With 6, it's holding on pretty well, unless I rock the helmet back and forth a little too much. It makes me concerned for faire. I've already broken off part of the wing-tip (glued it back on) in testing this. I also cracked one of the feet trying to put a screw hole into it. Apparently the dragon is partially hollow, and not solid resin, so it's not as strong as I had hoped.

I also might have to make a second mantle that attaches around the base, and use the one I made already by itself.

Pic of the dragon:

(clicky)

Sir Wolf:
super glue or nail glue work ?

Sir Edward:

For which part? :)

I tried some gorilla glue on the broken wing tip. Part of it worked. I may try some superglue.

I attached the dragon to the wood base with hot-glue, as well as the magnets to the underside of it. This aspect worked surprisingly well.

Sir Brian:
For the dragon repair use some epoxy putty...the kind you can get @ a games workshop store.
You can fill in the cracks along the break and blend it into the crevices really well. It helps to
wet your fingers and sculpting tool (toothpicks work well) with tap water as you work with it.
Just last night I repaired the tail on my griffin crest with this stuff.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version