Main > The Armoury

Ed's c.1250-1300 kit(s)

<< < (26/56) > >>

Sir Edward:

I'm not discounting that possibility either. There's a lot of gravel and uneven ground at the renfaires. I may yet decide I still want modern footwear, and just try to hide it well.

Sir Edward:
The new stainless riveted chausses just got here. They're pretty nice! They're tailored reasonably well. I was surprised (except for Sir Wolf's note about it) that they do go all the way up into a belt loop. The height is even pretty decent for me with the "regular" size. Any taller and I'd have problems. They'd run a little shorter on someone with thicker legs than mine, so it looks like they'll work for a lot of fairly typical leg sizes.

It looks like they just barely can reach the tip of my toes, but there's excess around the sides of the foot. So I'll have to trim a little. I might just go and look for some comfortable plain black loafers, and lace the mail under the foot like the photo above. It'll be hidden from view for the most part, and have more of a modern sole than the period footwear (though I must say, the ankle boots from Revival Clothing are very comfortable. I'm just concerned about all the gravel, mulch, and uneven ground at faire with my modern soft feet :)).

They do have the same problem I ran into when I was making my other set. If they slide down at all (which happens while walking, but particularly if you sit, kneel, or prop your foot up on something high), instead of sliding back, the back edge digs into your thigh and you can't fully straighten back up. So I'll need a leather piece in here again, much like in the other fellow's photo above, except it won't protrude from the top since the mail continues up to the waist in this case.

Man, trying them on has turned my hands black. It's OK though if it blackens up my hosen, which I only use for armor anyway. Speaking of which, the hosen are pretty comfortable. It's a shame they went out of style.

Sir Edward:

Well, the chausses worked out pretty well. It's still a bit of a fight to keep them in the right place. They do have some weight to them, of course. It's also extremely difficult to keep them from bunching up at the ankles, but that's true of any full-length chausses I think.

I left a few too many links on the sides of the feet, and really should have cut more off. As a temporary fix, I tied a lace across the top center of my foot to hold the sides up a little so I wasn't stepping on those edge links all day. Otherwise, it held up pretty well.

I zig-zagged some leather laces under the soles like the example photos a few posts back. It worked out pretty well!

Sir Wolf:
awesome. can u  use some of the cut off rings and attach them with mild steel butted rings to cover the toes?

Sir Edward:
Well, they're pretty well ruined, so probably not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version