Main > The Armoury

SCA Combat Archers

(1/9) > >>

RackThor:
SCA target archery is not too different from target practice really, however I wanted to see if any of you have personal stories about being, or encountering combat archers on the field of battle. Were they effective? How did you fight combat archers? If you are one share your knowledge, and if your good at beating them please do the same.

Thank you,

RackThor

Lord Dane:
Possible strategies against stationary combat archers in groups or line formation on open field:
Phalanx formation or Roman pseudo for line infantry with body-size shields; or
A rapid frontal charge with good dispersal to minimize losses & overwhelm them; or
A flanking charge with cavalry in conjunction or in the lead.

Thorsteinn:
I was a SCA Combat Archer back in the early '90's.

--- Quote ---Were they effective?
--- End quote ---

Could be, especially if you were fighting back when bird blunts & chemical stoppers where used. They were good at either firing into mass formations or for taking out select targets. After they went to APD's & Baldar blunts they became a bit of a joke.

--- Quote ---How did you fight combat archers?
--- End quote ---

Used to be all you had to do was get within 5 yards of 'em and call em dead. So if some archers were causing you pain just send out some plate armoured boys (plate being proof) and kill 'em. Now if you have a lot of 'em you just go after them with your shield or glaive and chase them down. At Antir/West War in '93 or '94 I was able to show that Antir archers couldn't hit a dancing man at 30 paces. I was that man.

Siege weapons, Javelin's, and good throwing axes can be much more efficient.

I can honestly say that CA has changed quite a bit in the past 20 years. Way more than Heavy or Rapier.

Do you have any other questions? I have more stories than that if you would like to hear them.

RackThor:
I know some pals in the SCA that I am around that do very well as a SCA archer however I considered trying my hand at it, but only if it is still effective, however I did notice the armor in your photo Thorsteinn. Did you make it yourself?

Sir Nate:
Dont you need to have done HEMA Or something along those lines to join or particapate in s.c.a.?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version