"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)  (Read 69716 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)
« Reply #45 on: 2013-12-05, 19:05:36 »
But do you have any mead??? :)  :P
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 2013-12-09, 21:03:32 »
But do you have any mead??? :)  :P

Of course! But it's dark.

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #47 on: 2013-12-13, 21:40:28 »
So I have bought 4 yards of Green and 4 yards of Gold Linen and 6 yards of Bamboo/Cotton blend batting to make my gambeson. Ian, I was thinking of doing something like your Charles de Blois pourpoint. I saw you have the pattern, by any chance is there online pdf I can download somewhere for free? Also the pattern would have to be for someone my size.

I found this pattern online but having spent over 120 bucks on materials already I am looking for a free option.

I also got through AA a sheet of mild steel which I will be using to make a CoP. Going to get some Green or Gold Wool (the opposite of whichever color i chose to make the gambeson) and some canvas and line with with linen on the inside and make myself a CoP wooooo :)

Also the wife is buying me armor this xmas. Gave her a short list of things....mostly from Al @ Merc Tailors...some simple knew and elbow cops with rondels, espauldiers and some boots from viking leather craft with vibram soles....lets see what I get under the christmas tree!

Little by little the kit will develop :)

And then start saving for Spring Steel stuff...plate or splinted...still torn!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 2013-12-14, 01:58:21 »
Jorge,

This is the pattern I bought:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/tasha-kelly/the-pourpoint-of-charles-de-blois/paperback/product-15326605.html

It's only $35, and it includes the patterns for a bunch of sizes (chest sizes 37-50).  You just assemble and cut out the one that pertains to you.  It's totally worth it.  What I did was cut out my size pattern, build it in muslin, and then tweak the pattern, then I adjusted the paper pattern based on what I did to the muslin, and then cut my linen.

Tasha Kelly made the pattern (Tailoress on the AA).  She's a class act, and helped me every step of the way when I had questions.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-14, 01:59:38 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #49 on: 2013-12-14, 02:01:54 »
Alas, 52-54 chest :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2013-12-14, 13:48:47 »
Well, you could call it quits there, or you could probably extrapolate for a 52" chest by looking at the pattern and making adjustments when you build it in muslin first. A sewing pattern is really only a guideline. Once you build the muslin prototype you end up with a custom pattern anyway.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 2013-12-16, 16:19:07 »
Well, you could call it quits there, or you could probably extrapolate for a 52" chest by looking at the pattern and making adjustments when you build it in muslin first. A sewing pattern is really only a guideline. Once you build the muslin prototype you end up with a custom pattern anyway.

Yep. If your height is fine, just add consistent extra for the width. Build it bigger, trim it down to fit. Or make a pattern from scratch. If money is an issue, there's a few sites that have rough patterns but you'll have to template it out on cardboard yourself; or get the $35 one to have a head start, and just mark one side, then slide the template over more to account for that extra width (don't trace both sides in place, only one).

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #52 on: 2013-12-16, 17:45:39 »
I think I might just make my own pattern using her other tutorial http://cottesimple.com/tutorials/drafting-grande-assiette-upper-sleeve/

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #53 on: 2013-12-18, 14:54:49 »
I've got a set of blackened spring steel legs from Maxim. Good stuff. I've also got a set of mild steel cuisses, arms, and pauldrons on the way. Shipped a week or two ago, but it's a gamble with when it will get delivered from the Ukraine. Sometimes it's a couple weeks, sometimes 8+ ... all depends on customs. Will let you know more when I get the armor.

His communication is great, even with the language barrier. Haven't fought in any of his armor, but articulation is good.

Updates?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 2013-12-18, 21:53:03 »
I've got a set of blackened spring steel legs from Maxim. Good stuff. I've also got a set of mild steel cuisses, arms, and pauldrons on the way. Shipped a week or two ago, but it's a gamble with when it will get delivered from the Ukraine. Sometimes it's a couple weeks, sometimes 8+ ... all depends on customs. Will let you know more when I get the armor.

His communication is great, even with the language barrier. Haven't fought in any of his armor, but articulation is good.

Updates?

Still waiting on the armor - likely held up in customs. Not unusual for overseas shipments. I'm usually pretty fast to snap pics of new armor and post them. :)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #55 on: 2013-12-19, 12:33:43 »
you sir are circling the drain

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #56 on: 2013-12-19, 15:39:38 »
you sir are circling the drain

Not familiar with the phrase. What does that mean?

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #57 on: 2013-12-19, 16:05:54 »
So, an update on what I have right now for my kit. It obviously is GOING to be a 14th century kit that emulates Gunther von Schwarzburg but for now this is what I have until I decide between armorers who can make it (torn between Maxim from Wild Armory and Piotr Zacharski who has come recommended by a few people that do ACL).

Things I have:
* A stainless steel gorget - http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/misc/lobgorgets.jpg (I know it isnt historical but for SCA it is needed and I got a great deal...20 bucks only from Erik @ WTC. Mine is the bottom one in the pic)
* Mild Steel Elbow Cops with Rondels - http://merctailor.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=186902781 (don't officially have it yet but if the wife did her job I should have em for xmas or tomorrow for my bday!)
* Mild Steel Espauldiers - http://merctailor.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=184415347 (same as above....she had ONE job...get me armor for my bday/xmas!)
* Stainless steel loaner articulated legs while I make my gamboised cuisses soon! - https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1482855_10202075610165397_664522703_n.jpg (also have a weight lifting belt to hang them from until I make my gambeson with points)
*8 yards of Green/Gold linen to make my gambeson.
*6 yards of bamboo/cotton batting blend that breaths well for said gambeson. (Starting to cut out pattern this weekend out of a king size bedsheet i bought at a thrift store and see how well a mock up works. Then all through xmas the wife and I are making the gambeson. Pics as soon as we are done!)
*Heater Shield - Ordered from someone at my local SCA group for like $40 he is making me a plywood heater padded and strapped and ready for my lefty combat!
*Sheet of Mild Steel to make my CoP out of Wool. Talking to someone on AA about a couple of yards of 100% Green or Gold Wool to make the CoP. I think I am going to make the gambeson Gold and the CoP in Green. Down the line might get my splinted armor in green too and wear some golden chausses :)

Things I need to buy ASAP:
*Helmet - John Kellum - https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1380110_574694462599864_951480444_n.jpg (not sure if you guys can see it but it is a blackened bascinet for $150 that is a basic starter combat helm. Just something to hold me off until I get a better one with a riveted aventail etc...)
* Rattan to make my weapon!
*Vambraces and rerebraces of some sort!
*Greaves
*Period shoes (my engineer boots look okay and have great ankle protection/support but still dont look the part or work with sabatons I want to get eventually)
« Last Edit: 2013-12-19, 18:14:20 by Belemrys »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 2013-12-19, 18:31:56 »
The shoe's and Rattan are easy buys. You're located in the east right?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #59 on: 2013-12-19, 18:45:12 »
The shoe's and Rattan are easy buys. You're located in the east right?

Atlantia, I was looking at Frank for the 14th century lace boots...also like his cuisses belt...might be a nice way to avoid straining the fabric of my gambeson.