"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Where to begin? New Kit in the working..  (Read 22088 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Where to begin? New Kit in the working..
« Reply #30 on: 2013-10-25, 19:31:31 »
Period correct footwear with a flat sole will not cause problems with a strap.  Most inexpensive reproduction period footwear uses leather on the bottom that is too thick, and that does cause problems.  Real period footwear has a very supple sole and puts no pressure on the arch of the foot, so as long as you don't have flat feet, the strap of a spur should basically occupy the space under the arch of your foot.  It's more like walking barefoot than in a shoe.  Nice soft flexible soles on good reproduction period footwear will help eliminate the problem that Sir James is describing.  We as modern folk are used to a hard sole, so it takes getting used to, but period footwear was designed to be soft so that you could feel and grip the ground with your foot and not slip.  The problem is generally that good period footwear is hard to find or expensive, or both.  Mass produced period footwear is not good period footwear.

I don't mean to derail the thread here, but on this note, how are the shoes from Viking Leathercrafts? I've heard nothing but good things about them and was planning on getting a pair sometime soon.

The boots from Viking Leathercrafts are just the Westland Crafts boots which are mass produced in Pakistan and re-sold by Frank.  He doesn't make them.  Frank's a great guy and business man, but most of the shoes he sells are not just the Westland stuff.   I've used them for years, and they're more than adequate.  I would replace the giant thongs of leather that they ship with for laces, but they're fine.  They are mass produced they and do not really mimic period footwear, but they look the part.

Real medieval footware reproductions can be had from the following:
http://www.plantagenetshoes.co.uk/cat13_14.aspx
http://home.comcast.net/~meisterdru/shoes.htm
http://www.np-historicalshoes.com/home.php?lang=en

But they are expensive and made to order.

Regardless, for wear under a sabaton, you ideally want side-laced shoes so that things like buckles, or top laces don't interfere with a properly close-fitted piece of armor. There's more leeway with maille foot coverings on the ends of chausses though.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-25, 19:33:51 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #31 on: 2013-10-25, 20:17:54 »

I've been happy with my Viking Leathercrafts shoes. For the price, you get a nice period-looking shoe.

Personally, I like them with the lugged soles. It's a modern sole, of course, but since I fight in them, and wear them to renfaires with variable terrain and hills, the traction is a safety feature for me.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
« Reply #32 on: 2013-10-26, 11:35:21 »
Great info for proper footwear, something for me to look into.

I have decided to start working on patterning out garments to be made for my future kit. So now what i am looking for is references for period correct, or close to, patterns for items like:

Padded arming Caps, Gambesons, Pourpoints, Chauses, and any other garments that i don't have listed.

Thanks again for the help.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2013-10-26, 12:10:20 »
Sir Jason, a great book to help you get started on some of the more mundane garments is the Medieval Taylor's Assistant. Check it out on amazon, may be worth your consideration.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2013-10-28, 15:00:50 »
For patterns, Reconstructing History has a lot of medieval ones: http://store.reconstructinghistory.com/historic-patterns/medieval.html

For shoes, I did what Sir Ian did.. removed the chunky leather ones, and put modern laces. I got longer laces than needed, lace them up all the way, then tie it off at the back of my foot. Keeps the lacing away from the front of the sabatons and doesn't have any "bow bulge".
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2013-10-30, 14:38:41 »
Since mail is mostly off the shelf, have a look at this:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165371&sid=c60b7e042ad3c86b08dd613b0f7745eb&p=2535061#p2535061

It's about $300 off the price new - flattened, riveted mail hauberk and coif. He's also got the riveting tool for $20.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
« Reply #36 on: 2013-10-30, 15:00:09 »
If I had the money right now I would go for it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2013-10-30, 19:47:27 »
Period correct footwear with a flat sole will not cause problems with a strap.  Most inexpensive reproduction period footwear uses leather on the bottom that is too thick, and that does cause problems.  Real period footwear has a very supple sole and puts no pressure on the arch of the foot, so as long as you don't have flat feet, the strap of a spur should basically occupy the space under the arch of your foot.  It's more like walking barefoot than in a shoe.  Nice soft flexible soles on good reproduction period footwear will help eliminate the problem that Sir James is describing.  We as modern folk are used to a hard sole, so it takes getting used to, but period footwear was designed to be soft so that you could feel and grip the ground with your foot and not slip.  The problem is generally that good period footwear is hard to find or expensive, or both.  Mass produced period footwear is not good period footwear.

I don't mean to derail the thread here, but on this note, how are the shoes from Viking Leathercrafts? I've heard nothing but good things about them and was planning on getting a pair sometime soon.

The boots from Viking Leathercrafts are just the Westland Crafts boots which are mass produced in Pakistan and re-sold by Frank.  He doesn't make them.  Frank's a great guy and business man, but most of the shoes he sells are not just the Westland stuff.   I've used them for years, and they're more than adequate.  I would replace the giant thongs of leather that they ship with for laces, but they're fine.  They are mass produced they and do not really mimic period footwear, but they look the part.

Real medieval footware reproductions can be had from the following:
http://www.plantagenetshoes.co.uk/cat13_14.aspx
http://home.comcast.net/~meisterdru/shoes.htm
http://www.np-historicalshoes.com/home.php?lang=en

But they are expensive and made to order.

Regardless, for wear under a sabaton, you ideally want side-laced shoes so that things like buckles, or top laces don't interfere with a properly close-fitted piece of armor. There's more leeway with maille foot coverings on the ends of chausses though.

That's awesome...I'm going to those sites now.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #38 on: 2013-10-30, 19:51:39 »
watch them. one of them has been known to sell using chrome tanned leather. well they used to. prob dont anymore but its something to watch for

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2013-10-31, 14:53:04 »
What's wrong with chrome-tanned leather?  Does it leech out into your clothes or whatever?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2013-10-31, 15:19:20 »
What's wrong with chrome-tanned leather?  Does it leech out into your clothes or whatever?

Chrome tanned leather is not historical before the end of the 19th century.
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2013-10-31, 15:48:10 »
Can you tell the difference just by looking at them?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2013-10-31, 16:04:57 »

They dye differently, and I believe chrome-tanned is very difficult to remove dye from, the texture can be different.  Even so, if you're building a living history kit, then you care about chrome vs veg tanned leather.
My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #43 on: 2013-10-31, 16:42:31 »

Also, if you look at a cross-section, chrome-tanned leather usually has a grey or whitish center. Like Little Debbie snack cakes.... :P
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #44 on: 2013-11-01, 01:10:28 »
damnit man, now i'm hungry! lol ya they have a white center. lol i remember i giged the famous mac about using chrome on a friend tassets lol eheh he smirked at me and used a sharpie to color the edges lol