Main > The Courtyard

Back Scabbards: was: inspiration and reference I:33

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir Wolf:
well being i know of no such animal, and the celts swords were no where near long enough to draw from there i think it's utter rubbish. they used really ornate sword belts.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-05-09, 23:39:15 ---
--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-05-09, 22:03:24 ---Kind of off topic but ... how time period authentic is a back scabbard for a broadsword fro say a 13th-14th century kit??  :-\

--- End quote ---

If by back scabbard you mean a sword suspended across your back, it's never authentic.

--- End quote ---

I agree with Ian, not at all. You need a rather short sword to be able to back-draw to begin with; and then re-sheathing is a whole other world of awkward, and that's doing so in front of a mirror. I don't find it remotely practical for anything but a very short (30" or so) sword.

A back strap for carrying, that would be taken off the shoulder before drawing, similar to a guige strap on a shield, might be plausible for larger swords, but I haven't seen any direct evidence of it.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-05-10, 08:55:33 ---Found this reference regarding suspended swords on the back:

However in "The Ancient Celts" by Barry Cunliffe, on page 94 of that book, Professor Cunliffe writes,"All these pieces of equipment [shields, spears, swords, mail armour], mentioned in the texts, are reflected in the archaeological record and in the surviving iconography, though it is sometimes possible to detect regional variations. Among the Parisii of Yorkshire, for example, the sword was sometimes worn across the back and therefore had to be drawn over the shoulder from behind the head."

--- End quote ---

As has been said, there's nothing in period to suggest that swords were drawn from the back, other than your reference.  With that in mind, I did once own this particular belt, which is cunningly designed so that you can carry your sword across the back for ease of movement- suitable for someone who has issues with a sword hanging at their waist.  This sword belt (Ranger Convertible it is called) has a quick release that'll drop the sword down to your waist.

I once wanted such a contrivance but have since been talked out of it by my more period-centric brethren.

http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/index.php?p=product&id=123

Ian:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-05-10, 08:55:33 ---"Among the Parisii of Yorkshire, for example, the sword was sometimes worn across the back and therefore had to be drawn over the shoulder from behind the head."

--- End quote ---

I'd love to see a person without 8 foot arms pull of this feat.

Lord Dane:
Agreed. Does seem rather an unlikely feet, if not impractical. I do think it would be feasible for short sword as mentioned by Sir James for drawing up to a specific blade length but Celts broadswords were of considerable length, some up to 36 inches at least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version