Main > The Armoury

New shoes

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir William:
Most medieval shoes are tight at first, until you get them broken in.  I think this has to do with the fact that 'rigid' materials aren't used, like plastics, hard rubber and metals in modern shoes.

Frank at VL is a joy to work with- I have these (in dark brown though):

- and they were more comfortable than I expected, but I also got mine with the heavy leather sole instead of vibram or lugged so I'm going to get a pair done up like that.  For the price, you simply cannot beat it!

Sir Ulrich:
Think I might go for another pair of them. Not sure what color but I DO like the natural leather color so that could work. Just need to get a few cuts in them so I can lace them directly to my shoes to prevent them from going undone.

Sir William:
Ulrich, be prepared- these shoes are sturdy, but once you cut into them and lace your chausses to them keep an eye out- I don't know how tough the leather is at that part of the shoe.  You might even want to mention to Frank that you plan on lacing your chausses to them, he might have some pointers on how to best do that. 

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-02-12, 21:43:05 ---Think I might go for another pair of them. Not sure what color but I DO like the natural leather color so that could work. Just need to get a few cuts in them so I can lace them directly to my shoes to prevent them from going undone.

--- End quote ---

Lacing chausses should not require any holes in the shoes; put the lace through the lugged part underneath, lace through the rings at the side, and tie on top. Tuck the excess back into the rings. I can try to get a picture this weekend if I have to time to lace them up.

Sir William:
I went off of what Ulrich said...but your suggestion, while not necessarily period-correct, will definitely get the job done much more easily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version