Main > The Armoury

Cooling Vest

<< < (5/7) > >>

Dragonlover:
Alas, we have to remember Sir Brian, that it wasn't a typical steamer of
a hot day out like we're used to. We actually had damn nice weather to
be sporting armor. Nice breeze, ya' couldn't ask for better! Feeling the effects
of the cap though, still ought to serve you well! ;D

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2009-03-21, 11:18:38 ---UPDATE on this cooling vest:
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?ID=3471

--- End quote ---
UPDATE on the UPDATE:  ???

Well I had to toss this vest into the trash because one of the straps got torn off and the fabric for one of the
chambers ripped open. All in all it worked adequately but I'd have to fail it for durability. I wore it six/seven times
and it's trashed? - Good thing it was only $20.00!  :-\

I'll have to try a different one. - I don't think any cooling method will work as well as we would like but I am
convinced that some cooling scheme is better than none! The alternatives is less time in the harness -i.e. at
the faire and the added risk of succumbing to heat exhaustion/stroke.  :-\

Sir Wolf:
linen under tunic, wool over tunic ;)

Sir Edward:
Oh man, sorry to hear it failed so soon.

So far I've done OK just pouring lots of water into my under-tunic. But I haven't been wearing any padding, so the air flows through pretty well and the mail doesn't retain much heat anyway since it's aluminum. Still, by the end of the day I'm sometimes wilting. When we went to VARF as a group a few weeks ago, the last 30 minutes before we left, I was dehydrated and getting lethargic, even though I guzzled 4 or 5 waters over the afternoon. When I went back last week, I only had 2 and never got dehydrated like that. The weather makes a huge impact.

Sir Matthew:
I have never had the heat really bother me in my armor, and I wear padding under it that I made myself.  I generally drink ALOT of water all day, though.  I also work outside and I think being used to the heat makes a big difference as well.  I know my wife has gotten heat exhaustion in her corset on some of the warmer days, but I have been just fine.  She works inside though. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version