Main > The Courtyard

Learning Styles for Martial Arts

(1/3) > >>

Sir Percival:
As a novice, I'm trying to find an effective way to learn and practise the swordplay, polearm arts and other manoeuvres that I've learnt thus far.  I confess I've been hesitant to participate in classes at the WMA school where I do volunteer work since I've found the general pace of the classes too quick for me.  Moreover, I find it difficult to translate mentally what I see an instructor demonstrate to doing it myself.  I'm a very analytical and verbal person, so I learn well from memorising written instructions, but I really do need to be shown something like swordplay as in well in order learn it properly, so I can't just pick up a manual and try to learn swordplay properly on my own.  Yet, I also need detailed written instructions or some other kind of notes to revise, however, since my experience when taking classes has been leaving the class unsure about what I had learnt, and then trying to practise at home but being unable to remember key points.  The school's longsword and arming-sword curricula derive primarily from the works of Fiore and Vadi, but they haven't got true manuals of their own.

I also know that to improve genuinely, I do need to spar with other people: there's no way around it, but at this point, I'm doubtful how much I'll be able to take away from the experience.  I recognise that I lack some confidence in the basic steps, guards and strokes, and more confidence when it comes to sequences of the above.

Any advice?  I've asked my school about private lessons, and they seem willing to provide some in exchange for the work that I do, but I'd like something that I can practise regularly and efficiently.

Silvanus:
Hi Sir Percival,

If you're looking for a great book on fighting techniques, Christian Tobler's Fighting with the German Longsword is my vade mecum. My fight group use it and we always have a copy with us when we spar. There are also chapters on spear, polearm, grappling and other techniques. His descriptions are very step-by-step, with accompanying photos. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-German-Longsword-Christian-Tobler/dp/1891448242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351136169&sr=8-1&keywords=9781891448249

Unbelievable, the cheapest copy on Amazon is $224. Sometimes I loathe capitalism. 

As for finding sparring mates, some men and women from my classes at VAF simply started meeting outside of class. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some folks at the academy where you volunteer who might be doing the same, and you could join them.

Sir Edward:
I've had similar difficulties at times. When it comes to other subjects, I'm much better at concepts than I am at memorization of facts. With swordplay, I think it's much the same, so rather than try to memorize plays and "correct" responses, I try to make it more conceptual in how I absorb it.

What's often referred to as "muscle memory" is something that works well for me, to a point. Since I don't really practice much outside of class, I don't have the large numbers of repetitions behind most of the things I've learned, but rather I've tried to absorb things that I consider to be core to the art-- Close off the line of attack from your opponent, control the center, watch your distance, keep your blade frequently between his blade and your body, attack where his sword was, not is, go soft when he's hard, and go hard when he's soft...  things like that.

Usually when I'm free-fencing with people, I also don't worry much about who will win. Actually, I think I lose more often than not. But what's important to me is that I feel like I'm clean in my execution, even if I've picked the wrong move... to know that I'm representing the art, and furthering my experience. I'll often try to mix things up by doing something that might be tactically bad, but experimentally is useful for me to try.  Sometimes it gives me something new to work with, and sometimes it goes horrifically wrong. :)

I think the best way to train is to do both the controlled practice, as well as free-fencing. One without the other is weaker than doing both. Confidence can come with practice, but I think it's important not to let the lack of confidence keep you from trying. Sometimes just getting out there and throwing yourself into it is the best way to get your confidence.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Silvanus on 2012-10-25, 03:56:48 ---http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-German-Longsword-Christian-Tobler/dp/1891448242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351136169&sr=8-1&keywords=9781891448249

Unbelievable, the cheapest copy on Amazon is $224. Sometimes I loathe capitalism. 

--- End quote ---

One of his newer books is available at a much better price here:

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/insaintgeorgesname.aspx

Part of the reason that his older books have sky-rocketed is because of legal issues with  his former publisher, and they're not readily available anymore. Not without putting money in the pocket of the publisher who wasn't paying royalties to the authors. But that's a whole separate story (with its own thread somewhere on the forum).

Thorsteinn:
Where are you located?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version