Main > The Courtyard

Learning Styles for Martial Arts

<< < (3/3)

Sir Brian:
All of the previous replies are really great advice here for you to ponder upon Sir Percival from exceptional and very knowledgeable folks. The only caveat I would caution you on if you have not done any sparring/duels is to be prepared for the ‘anxiety’ of combat you will have when you first begin that phase of your training. In many cases it can mentally cripple you to inaction or hesitant reactions and is a condition that eventually disappears the more bouts you do. I was a bit surprised to experience this combat anxiety for lack of a better term when I began doing bouts in WMA two years ago, even though I had participated in a lot of Eastern Martial arts tournaments and more than a fair share of bar brawls in my youth (30 plus years ago) I wasn’t expecting to have such a strong anxiety which was mostly a concern for my training partners as I was still unsure of my overall blade control and power at the time.  :)

Sir Percival:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2012-10-26, 11:47:08 ---Remember to enhance in progression your mind, body, and skill in that order. Learn the needed knowledge (mind), apply the knowledge (body), and practice the skill set together (mind & body). If you take them out of sequence, it makes less sense in learning and mastering your skills.
--- End quote ---

Ah, now that makes complete sense to me.  I reckon that with written instructions I could get the details into my head more easily.  Since the classes build onto each other and I seldom absorbed everything in full, I often had forgotten the essentials by the next class.  But I memorise written sequences rather quickly—some of professors can testify to this, seeing how quickly I could memorise inflexional paradigms when learning Latin and Greek.  If I can do that, then the written instructions are the way to go.

--- Quote from: Jessica Finley on 2012-10-26, 11:47:08 ---If you are the kind of learner who needs "words" to internalize something - that is fine.  As your instructor to provide those words.  For a German practitioner, it could be as simple as learning the verse.  For a Fioreist, you too have shortened verse to go with each action.  Pick up a copy of Tom Leoni's Fiore translation and learn those words.  Chant them in your head *while* you do the action in solo drill.  Then in class.  Then, when you feel confident that you know basic responses to quite a few different kinds of attacks - you can use them in a bout.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've looked at Leoni's book before at my school.  The memorisation of Fiore's verses might work, although I think I might need some additional notes just to ensure that I fully understand what's going on, but as you've mentioned, my instructor ought to be able to provide them.

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-10-26, 13:52:39 ---The only caveat I would caution you on if you have not done any sparring/duels is to be prepared for the ‘anxiety’ of combat you will have when you first begin that phase of your training.
--- End quote ---

I have sparred before, but not at full speed, but that's fine with me, since my reaction time isn't good enough for that.  Nevertheless, that makes sense.  Hopefully with a patient instructor, we can work up to speed.

Joshua Santana:
Percival:  This very interesting and you are on a good start in your training.  What I have found that it helps when you practice any technique, study yourself.  By this I mean learn how you react to an oncoming cut or thrust.  What technique is natural for you to do?  Do you have a set mental plan of tactics?  You must ask yourself these question when you are training solo or with a partner. 

In regards to studying Fiore, there is plenty of material via other schools that can help you grasp the fundamental concepts of the Fiore Tradition.  Use that material in addition to the Text by Leoni. 

When sparring at half-speed, train your mind to see the predicted path of the blow and react based on that.  In other words, when you free fence, train your mental reaction and timing this can help you progress in the future. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version