Main > The Armoury

Mail shirts with front openings

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-10-21, 02:45:14 ---I left my new hauberk open in the front just as a matter of convenience (my god that thing would be hard to snake myself into otherwise, since I sized it to be snug). I'm also wondering though if we might be able to find historical examples that opened at the back. It seems more likely, since you'd want protection without a seam in the front, and back-lacing could be easily done with a squire.

--- End quote ---

I'll have to dig a bit, but I had a picture or two that showed a plate cuirass that looked like it was hinged on the sides and opened in the back. It caught my eye for two reasons, one, it seemed exceedingly rare, and two, there is a design of samurai armor the same way.

--- Quote from: Jessica Finley on 2012-10-22, 14:49:33 ---Hey guys -

Bob Charette showed me photos he took of a "double-breasted" mail shirt in Musee de L'Armee in Paris.  The label says its Nuremburg work from c1350.

It overlapped in the front what looked about a foot, and hooked closed.  So, in fact, rather than being "exposed" in the front, you were double-protected! 

It also had a "tail" that pulled up between the legs and hooked before and above the groin, providing protection to that area simply and comfortably.

Cut away, say I!
:D
Jess

--- End quote ---

Wow! Now *that* sounds like a very unique piece. Long before I saw any "mail braies", either.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-10-22, 17:31:36 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-10-21, 02:45:14 ---I left my new hauberk open in the front just as a matter of convenience (my god that thing would be hard to snake myself into otherwise, since I sized it to be snug). I'm also wondering though if we might be able to find historical examples that opened at the back. It seems more likely, since you'd want protection without a seam in the front, and back-lacing could be easily done with a squire.

--- End quote ---

I'll have to dig a bit, but I had a picture or two that showed a plate cuirass that looked like it was hinged on the sides and opened in the back. It caught my eye for two reasons, one, it seemed exceedingly rare, and two, there is a design of samurai armor the same way.

--- Quote from: Jessica Finley on 2012-10-22, 14:49:33 ---Hey guys -

Bob Charette showed me photos he took of a "double-breasted" mail shirt in Musee de L'Armee in Paris.  The label says its Nuremburg work from c1350.

It overlapped in the front what looked about a foot, and hooked closed.  So, in fact, rather than being "exposed" in the front, you were double-protected! 

It also had a "tail" that pulled up between the legs and hooked before and above the groin, providing protection to that area simply and comfortably.

Cut away, say I!
:D
Jess

--- End quote ---

Wow! Now *that* sounds like a very unique piece. Long before I saw any "mail braies", either.

--- End quote ---

Very interesting find on maille. Hmmmm. Overlapping maille as opposed to layers of protection that only came from fabric/linen in combination w/ leather, scales, plates, etc. Very nice to know historically.

Sir William:
I'm used to the maille dance by now.  Think I'll leave my hauberk alone...but will be watching to see what you gents come up with should you decide to go this route.

Sir James A:
Found a few interesting pictures of museum pieces while doing some more research:

Fauld clasp, and seems to be a half "mail brayette", too

This one, I'm a little suspect ... I don't know if the pieces were originally together, but if so, interesting to note the size of the neck opening since the mantle of the coif covers so much area too. Why this style instead of the hauberk with integral coif? I don't know...

Two shots of the same thing - the neck clasps. Am I looking at this right? It looks like there's actually a buckle on each side of the collar. I'm thinking that a single leather strap would go through both of the buckles, to keep the collar upright/closed. Thoughts??

Another neck clasp.

Just a good picture showing a single garment of multiple-sized rings - small, tightly woven rings of a mail mantle/standard. The small, tightly spaced rings give it some rigidity, and was somewhat of a precursor to plate, sacrificing the flexibility and taking more weight and better protection instead.

Sir William:
This is very cool...I love seeing real examples of medieval maille.  I get the impression that what we have on offer commercially speaking is not on par.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version