Main > The Armoury

Mail shirts with front openings

(1/3) > >>

Sir James A:
While digging around for a couple pictures for Sir Ulrich's mail thread, I stumbled on something that I never noticed / forgot seeing on Wade Allen's site:

http://www.allenantiques.com/M-1.html

and

http://www.allenantiques.com/M-14.html

The first one actually opens down the entire front. It's a 17th century piece, though.

The second one has a front split like a deep "V" shirt. He says the collar looks to have been added later, but the "U" dropped neckline looks original. Both shirts have minimal losses, so the shape should be accurate to what it originally was.

There is period artwork that shows our lovely "mail dance" with knights trying to dance their mail off over their heads, but I'm starting to wonder if mail designed to be pulled on like a shirt and then laced shut might actually have some kind of historical basis to it, and not just my own invention of convenience/laziness....

Thoughts?

Ian:
I would love for their to be a historical basis for this pre 17th century.  I would cut my haubergeon down the middle in a heartbeat if I could justify it historically.

Sir Edward:
I left my new hauberk open in the front just as a matter of convenience (my god that thing would be hard to snake myself into otherwise, since I sized it to be snug). I'm also wondering though if we might be able to find historical examples that opened at the back. It seems more likely, since you'd want protection without a seam in the front, and back-lacing could be easily done with a squire.

Sir Ulrich:
I should try doing this to mine.... I mean I wear it under a surcoat anyway so it's not like anyones gonna notice. Would save my gambeson a bit of durability too.

Jessica Finley:
Hey guys -

Bob Charette showed me photos he took of a "double-breasted" mail shirt in Musee de L'Armee in Paris.  The label says its Nuremburg work from c1350.

It overlapped in the front what looked about a foot, and hooked closed.  So, in fact, rather than being "exposed" in the front, you were double-protected! 

It also had a "tail" that pulled up between the legs and hooked before and above the groin, providing protection to that area simply and comfortably.

Cut away, say I!
:D
Jess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version