Main > The Armoury

New Albion sword

<< < (2/2)

SirNathanQ:
Ulrich, the reason you're hurting yourself using the Brazil Nut is because you're using the wrong type of grip. Using a standard hammer grip will cause the points to dig into your wrists. Using a handshake grip will solve all of that. I'll have to show you next time we meet. You might be able to dig it up on Myarmoury.

Sir Edward:

Oh yeah, if you want something that is historical in appearance, it's just fine. Like I said, it'll be a little on the heavy side since it's Del Tin (and not have the upper-end sort of performance and balance of their next-gen line), but it's still a good historical repro with the right sort of look to it, and will be sturdy.

Sir Ulrich:
Well I think 265 is a good price for a scabbard, most of them I've seen are around 500. I just want the full deal to be honest sending a sword back and forth is a bit... annoying and my folks being paranoid about everything wouldn't trust a single person with that stuff...

Sir William:
Ulrich...the first generation Albions are solid swords; as the others have said, this was before they started making their own blades.  Del Tin has a solid reputation and their blades tend to be on the heavier side, but very sturdy as well.  I think $350 + $265 is a good price for a sword w/a custom scabbard and rig...there are of course other options out there but for that price, but this is a good choice.

I should warn you, however...when you get a chance to wrap your gauntlets around a Next Generation Albion, you will notice a difference.  I know I keep saying that, but it used to be told to me, til I finally got to hold one.  So anyway, this is still a step up- be forewarned, from this point on, expect to save longer in order to pay for the more expensive stuff.  Windlass blades are, at this point, good for decorative purposes.  ;)

Sir Nathan is correct, you need to alter your grip- you can start with a hammer grip but while moving through a cut or practicing forms you'll need to flow into the handshake grip; Normans, Saxons, Vikings, what have you- warriors for over a hundred years used that very same hilt setup- if it were not workable, it would not have been so prevalent during its time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version