"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: New Albion sword  (Read 4219 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New Albion sword
« on: 2012-10-20, 01:37:54 »
I am buying an Albion first gen Crusader off of Jesse Bailey I got the coif off of. He said he could make a scabbard for it as well for 265 for an integrated sword belt scabbard thats hand made. The sword is 350 Wondering if this is worth it but I am starting to think it is because it will be custom colored rather than me settling for other colors that are available. Think I am gonna get the scabbard in very dark brown almost black and the sword belt in oxblood. If I went with a normal Albion I'd just get the sword and would have to pay more for the scabbard, but I've always wanted an Albion. I have handled the sword IRL and like the feel, it's a bit blade heavier because it's an older design and doesn't taper nearly as much and it has a bit of a patina which is what I want. I don't plan to use it in any combat but this will be my "nice" sword rather than one I'll use. 350 for an Albion isn't a bad deal though.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: New Albion sword
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-20, 12:50:22 »

Is this the same one you were showing me at DoK? As a first-gen Albion (and thus based around a Del Tin blade) I think the price is reasonable. It's not the "OMG ONLY $350!?" sort of reaction you would have to one of their next-gen models, but for a first-gen it's probably just fine. It looked like it was in good condition, just needed some minor cleaning of rust spots.

I don't think we took any pictures of it, unfortunately.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-20, 12:56:29 »
Just realize like Edward is trying to tell you, a first gen Albion is not an 'Albion'  They didn't make the blade.  Del Tin is an Italian company that still makes swords and first gen Albion's used these blades, not the blades Peter Johnsson designs.  If you're looking for the handling and performance of what people think of as an 'Albion sword'  you will not get it with this.  You may want to just keep saving for a next gen Albion and get what you really want.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-20, 13:08:52 »

Oh, there's also Albion's "squire line" which have Albion's current blades, but less fancy hilts to make them more affordable (also note that they are not sharpened unless you pay $25 extra for that):

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/swords-albion-mark-squire.htm
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-20, 18:44:25 »
Yeah ever since seeing Albion IRL I want one even if it's the older generation. I don't plan to use it for cutting anything more than water bottles or tatami mats. Even then it wasn't that sharp. The reasoning for this is I tried using my tinker Norman and the Brazil nut pommel dug into my wrists and whatnot so I guess I made the wrong choice. Thats the problem with buying online, you don't get to handle the goods in person to see if you like it. It does look nice though.
Heres the only pic I got of it:
All I really want to know is if it's based off of a historical model. Thats good enough for me if it is and it looked it. Sure it may have a Del Tin blade but that doesn't bug me nearly as much and my folks aren't too kind about me having sharp weapons ._. Also heard Del Tin's arent bad swords

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-20, 21:23:35 »
Ulrich, the reason you're hurting yourself using the Brazil Nut is because you're using the wrong type of grip. Using a standard hammer grip will cause the points to dig into your wrists. Using a handshake grip will solve all of that. I'll have to show you next time we meet. You might be able to dig it up on Myarmoury.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-21, 02:42:16 »

Oh yeah, if you want something that is historical in appearance, it's just fine. Like I said, it'll be a little on the heavy side since it's Del Tin (and not have the upper-end sort of performance and balance of their next-gen line), but it's still a good historical repro with the right sort of look to it, and will be sturdy.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-21, 21:51:03 »
Well I think 265 is a good price for a scabbard, most of them I've seen are around 500. I just want the full deal to be honest sending a sword back and forth is a bit... annoying and my folks being paranoid about everything wouldn't trust a single person with that stuff...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-23, 14:33:23 »
Ulrich...the first generation Albions are solid swords; as the others have said, this was before they started making their own blades.  Del Tin has a solid reputation and their blades tend to be on the heavier side, but very sturdy as well.  I think $350 + $265 is a good price for a sword w/a custom scabbard and rig...there are of course other options out there but for that price, but this is a good choice.

I should warn you, however...when you get a chance to wrap your gauntlets around a Next Generation Albion, you will notice a difference.  I know I keep saying that, but it used to be told to me, til I finally got to hold one.  So anyway, this is still a step up- be forewarned, from this point on, expect to save longer in order to pay for the more expensive stuff.  Windlass blades are, at this point, good for decorative purposes.  ;)

Sir Nathan is correct, you need to alter your grip- you can start with a hammer grip but while moving through a cut or practicing forms you'll need to flow into the handshake grip; Normans, Saxons, Vikings, what have you- warriors for over a hundred years used that very same hilt setup- if it were not workable, it would not have been so prevalent during its time.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€