"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Spears  (Read 4191 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Spears
« on: 2012-10-17, 22:22:27 »
Does anyone know where I could get a spear similar to the one Ed brought to DoK. I really think it would complete the whole "town guard" kit I put together at DoK which I actually liked better than my knightly getup due to being a LOT more comfortable to wear.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Spears
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-17, 22:46:36 »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-18, 01:28:47 »
Be warned though. Apparently "battle ready" spears are not as Battle Ready as swords by a long shot as I have found out.

So you may try here:
http://armour.com/polearms.html

or here too:

http://therionarms.com/reenact/weapons_western.shtml
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-18, 03:04:06 »
The ones from A&A (whether you get it from them or through KoA) should all be good. I'd particularly look for the "lugged" spears (like mine), since they were common throughout the period if I'm not mistaken.

Mine is over 8 feet long. It looks like the A&A spears tend to be a little shorter. But you could probably order one and request a longer pole, since A&A is pretty good about customization.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-18, 03:07:48 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-18, 03:45:02 »
I am prolly gonna save up for one, the shipping I bet would be a ton though being a long package and transporting it to faires would be a bit hard. Maybe I should get the GDFB lugged one for now and get the pole. Arms and armor's spears do look better but right now I am a bit short on cash because I am buying a lot of things at once.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-18, 13:47:21 »

Yep, understand the whole buying things at once problem. :)

A shorter spear will be easier to transport, that's for sure. I had to take the head off of mine to transport it to DoK. It's the only way it'll fit in the trucks. So I'm glad I used wood-screws on it instead of a proper peened pin.

Longer ones might cost more to ship (you'd have to ask), but for their regular-sized polearms they don't charge and arm and a leg for it. I think it's like $25 or $30.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-18, 20:10:55 »
I think I paid $30 for shipping on my Burgundian Poleaxe from A&A. The shipping isn't too bad.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-18, 20:18:25 »
Yeah, I always wanted a spear but couldn't find a logical way of transporting them to the faire. I don't have a truck and all I got is my dad's Volkswagen and it wouldn't fit there. Still want one though cause it looked good with my common footsoldier kit, works well for it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-18, 21:00:39 »
I think Hanwei used to sell one that could be broken down (I think at the midway point of the shaft, the two ends were threaded to mate up) - naturally it isn't historical but it is convenient.  If you can find one.

I have a Windlass Euro spear and butt cap that I still need to mount; I'll probably get to that this weekend.  Or not.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€