Main > The Courtyard

On the Krumphau

<< < (2/13) > >>

Sir Edward:
I haven't watched the second one yet, but I agree with Jess on the first one. What he's doing is viable, starting with a parry and then winding or doing a mutieren as a riposte, but is not krumphau. The Krumphau as described in the text is very simple and is a single action.

In the first video, as he gets into the second half of it and is describing his downward cutting action, it looks more to me like a very low Swerchau at that point, or an unterhau even. The windshield-wiper analogy is admittedly silly, but I've used it myself, because it's an easy way to describe to someone who is new to it which way the sword moves in your hand. But it is a downward cut.

Ian:
The krumphau is not simple... otherwise it wouldn't be constantly reinterpreted and debated from group to group.  So I don't think the text is clear as to what the krumphau is supposed to be.  I'm not being convinced that John's current interpretation is invalid, I think others are just very attached to their interpretations.

I in no way interpreted anything he did as being bullying.  I get that people don't like Clements' personality, but it seems like it's just fashionable now-a-days to hate John Clements.  I'm not re-watching the video, so just from memory, I believe he just told the student to not thrust at his 'face' and only because they're wearing no protective gear.  I don't think he was saying you can't use a thrust in general. 

I'll just keep the ARMA stuff to myself from now on because I fear it will always leads down one path.

Jessica Finley:
Hey Ian -

Please accept my apologies.  I in no way intended to shut you down nor to force you to censor yourself on this board. 

I will withdraw, as this is your thread and I am interested in your thoughts (I know my own).

Jess

Ian:
No apology necessary Jess. It's just frustrating that any time the name John Clements comes up, more often than not it's just like blood in the water...  The man can do no right in a lot of people's eyes, and I think he has a lot to offer the community. The irony is that a lot of people don't like him because of how rabidly he defends the 'ARMA way' and it's amusingly resulted in people just trying to rabidly defend their own opinions against his.

It's become an Us vs Them kind of thing with HEMA/WMA at large vs ARMA.  I wish there was more of a willingness to work together.  Everyone's quick to point out how ARMA doesn't play well with others, but it's pushed lots of other groups to do the same.  It's silly...

I want the martial art (I hesitate to use the word sport, because it's an art designed to kill, not to win matches/points/games) to evolve, not diverge.

Jessica Finley:
Hey Ian -

I understand where you are coming from in hoping for a greater community.  That said, have you spoken with anyone who was in ARMA that is no longer?  I was approached last week by a woman who is now completely gunshy about WMA after the horrible things said about her and her husband by ARMA leadership because they didn't want to renew their fees.  They were called thieves, morally corrupt, etc.  The group they were associated with was removed from ARMA though the rest of the group wanted to continue being ARMA.  Etc.  These things *do* tend to reflect upon my view of the rest.  I do look at people's art through the filter of their actions.

That said, is John completely athletic, dynamic, and energetic?  Sure.  He is!  Have I pointed people to ARMA that I think might appreciate their approach?  Sure, I have.  I don't think the man's the devil.  I do think there are a lot of good people in ARMA. 

But - that doesn't mean I have to agree with his interpretations. 

TO THE TECHNIQUE:
There are vids out there of a Krump that look like mine.  Maybe have a look at this video of Keith Farrell (a man whom I have never worked with) doing his version of a Krump: 

I don't strike it with the flat, but the rest?  yep.  Just like I do it.  100%.  And I think Keith looks PLENTY athletic, biomechanically solid, moving with instinctive reasoned movements, etc.  Also - this is a great class.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version