"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Chausses arrived  (Read 9770 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Chausses arrived
« on: 2012-08-24, 21:59:24 »

Problem is I have NO clue how to wear them. I was expecting some kind of stocking but they fit my legs just fine when I held them up to them. I am just unsure on how to put them on, maybe I will just lace them to the padded chausses I am getting. Any advice on how to put them on?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Chausses arrived
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-25, 04:05:37 »

Yep, zig-zag a leather lace around and under the foot, and up the back of the leg. That should be all you need.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-25, 07:10:32 »
I was expecting a kind of stocking but this is a whole other ball game trying to put these on. I am considering returning them because I literally have NO clue how to put them on. I guess they changed their type of chausses cause I been looking all over online for ways to put these on and I cant find it. Most are stocking types that are prolly MUCH easier to put on and require less lacing.

What sort of lacing should I use? Would leather be sufficient and do I have to sew leather to the chausses? I got latigo leather tie which could prolly work, when I tried using this cheap indian made suede leather tie to tie my hauberks arms in place it snapped but this latigo leather is the hard stuff thats durable as hell. I dont have my padded chausses yet but lacing is easy to adjust so it shouldnt be too hard.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-25, 12:18:39 »

I'd just run leather laces to close the seam. You can also cut out some of the material if it's too big, with a set of heavy-duty wire cutters. If you want, you can size it so that you can get your foot in and out, leave it laced together, and treat it like a set of stockings.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-25, 14:14:15 »
The closed-back chausses are a different option. If you talk to IceFalcon, I'm sure he'll exchange it for you if you want. I called to ask him before I ordered my chausses, and he asked if I wanted open back or closed back ("stocking" style).

The open-back chausses like that are just an earlier style, before they covered the leg the entire way around in later years.

Once the lacing is done, try to have a lot of excess; that way you don't have to unlace it completely to get them off, and you can tuck the excess in the back of the padded chausses. They'll be pretty quick to put on like that; not quite as quick as the full-wrap style, but not vastly longer either.

The top part of mine was a belt loop, that was attached. It looks like the "square" bit at the top of yours should just be looped around the top of the belt, then laced down - at least the way they're made. Most SCA guys probably just throw on a regular belt and call it a day; that's IceFalcon's primary market, so it makes sense it would be built for that.

However, for us - on mine, I took off the belt loop portion, chopped it down to semi-straight, and kept the mail for other projects. Then I put a leather strip across the top, and added holes so I can point it just like I do my plate legs:

and how they work with the c-belt:

(plate legs just for sake of comparison, and because the camera phone did TERRIBLE)

You'll very likely need to trim down the part that covers the feet; make sure you have on your boots you'll be wearing when doing that. Cutting it a ring or two higher than the ground will keep it from damaging any hard surfaces (like hardwood floors and/or tile); as Sir Edward said, lace it down to keep it from flopping.

If you have Viking Leather boots with the lugged soles, you can pass the lacing between the lugs, and it should last longer since you aren't walking on it directly. If you do, you can lace it in parallel, instead of zig-zag.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-27, 14:31:05 »
This is better than getting the stocking ones...here you can customize the fit and just cut off the excess w/out having to cut them apart to begin with.  Keep these, Ulrich- easiest type to custom fit is the open variety.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-28, 20:56:46 »
Allright the viking leathercraft guy asked me what kind of attachments to send for the chausses. Anyone got any idea what kind would work? I am quite clueless in this area and need to know soon.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-29, 15:25:56 »
Replied on FB - get it unpunched. Put the chausses on comfortably, then punch holes at the top corners of the square flaps, and lace it into place.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-04, 08:06:34 »

C belt arrived, it fits rather well and he even included some lacing to lace my chausses to the belt.  Just gotta figure out how to attach these once my padded chausses arrive, which I ALSO plan to lace to the C belt over my regular chausses.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-04, 15:21:30 »
Where'd you get your padded chausses from?  If it is the GDFB ones I doubt they'll fit you well...they certainly didn't fit me well and I believe your legs are even thinner than mine.  In any case, you might have to sew on leather tabs to the pointing area in order to lace them to your c-belt.  Otherwise the fabric will tear without the reinforcement of the leather tab.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-05, 02:12:00 »
I'm getting custom ones from badass garb along with a gambeson and padded coif. Not sure if I should get them with feet or not. I think without feet it would be more comfortable and easier to put on but my chausses go down and cover my feet does that mean I need padding on the feet as well?
Nevermind I decided to get them with just the top of the foot being padded so I can easily lace them on with my maille chausses. This should work out for me because it will be custom sized, sure it may cost more but it's better than ordering something that wont fit me and I'll end up not using.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-05, 03:43:06 by Sir Ulrich »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-05, 14:52:36 »
You shouldn't need padding on your feet unless you plan on going barefoot- that is, w/out shoes or boots- otherwise they'll serve to pad your feet from the weight of the sabot area of the chausses.  You might even sew the sabot area onto a favorite pair of boots if you were so inclined.  It'll save from having to relace it every time you go to wear them as the laces will wear out from walking on top of them (if you lace them under foot).

Let me know how the padded garments work from you from badass garb as I'll order from them as well if they're good to go.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-06, 12:32:06 »
I second not worrying about any foot padding. I haven't seen any historically, but I'm a later-era armor guy. The mail over the feet can't be more than a pound or two at most.

If you have shoes with lugs / tread on the bottom, and run the lacing between it, so that it isn't directly contacting the ground, it should last longer - of course, we're talking $2 lacing, so it's not a big deal, but it should be more comfortable too, since you won't be stepping on laces all day long.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-06, 18:47:03 »
Good point, Sir James.  I was thinking of my Viking Leathercrafts 12th C shoe with the leather heel, no lug or vibram.  Lug soles would render my point moot.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-07, 16:13:34 »
I am buying a Cap a Pie set of arming clothes from there. Everywhere will be covered other than my face and feet. Gonna cost me 400 bucks but it's custom made and should work for me. All custom sized in heavyweight linen with cotton batting and mid weight linen inside. Not sure if thats a good price but I cant really order overseas and I assume if I did I would pay the same amount anyway.