Main > The Armoury

Bascinet Visor dating

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
hmmm i will have to check my books. it was on the AA. a lot of ppl think it's a bad design of a certain helmet. i kinda think it's cool looking, but can see where it's peak can be an issue

SirNathanQ:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-08-08, 02:29:26 ---I'm not real big on dating helmets. I'd rather go out with women. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

--- End quote ---

Man, milady will NOT be happy bout this one. "You're doing what with an inanimate object!?!"

SirNathanQ:
Hmmm, I was actually thinking myself that that was a rather poor representation of the original, but IMO it compares rather well with the Romance image that I provided. In the first image, the only difference is the shape of the "jaw" of the visor. 

Leganoth:
omg that helmet is SICK.

Ian:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-08-08, 03:19:42 ---Hmmm, I was actually thinking myself that that was a rather poor representation of the original, but IMO it compares rather well with the Romance image that I provided. In the first image, the only difference is the shape of the "jaw" of the visor. 

--- End quote ---

As far as the reproduction helmet goes, I can't really get behind the aesthetics of the skull.  The shaping just looks wrong and not really historical.  The visor looks pretty nice though.  I just love that severe high point on the manuscript images.  For a mass-produced helmet it's not bad, but it was a little ambitious for that type of manufacturing to try and capture such a striking helmet.

If this really is the original helmet, the repro doesn't compare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version