Main > The Armoury

Bascinet Visor dating

<< < (3/3)

SirNathanQ:
As far as the shaping goes, I think it works for about 1360-70, where they have the deeper shape and are evolving towards that high pointed skull, but it's just not completely there yet.

GDFB uses the same generic bascinet shape for their designs, so I think it was a dumb choice on their part to say it's based off of something so exotic as the original.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-08-08, 03:06:54 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-08-08, 02:29:26 ---I'm not real big on dating helmets. I'd rather go out with women. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

--- End quote ---

Man, milady will NOT be happy bout this one. "You're doing what with an inanimate object!?!"

--- End quote ---

As you do not know where that helmet has been Sir Nathan, I suggest proper protection before intimacy. ;D Oh wait ... because the helmet is used for protection ... is it even necessary??? Hmmmm

SirNathanQ:
A protection within a protection? It's too unstable! BWOOOOM!!!!  ;D

Sir James A:
The original reminds me of this (http://castlewiki.castlecrashers.com/index.php?title=Conehead).

The repro, I have no idea on what period it would be, but it looks to me like a klappvisor, just with a different visor. The shape of the crown, the aventail attachment.

Sir Edward:
The difficulty with the 14th century is that things were changing so rapidly that it's hard to pin things down to a specific decade. What might catch on quickly in one place may take time to get picked up somewhere else too. And we often see a blending of various elements, particularly in the middle of the century.

So I think the estimates for mid-14th are probably fine, and you can probably fudge it a little in either direction. The artwork for the Romance of Alexander is pretty compelling, I think, and gives you a good basis to work from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version