Main > The Courtyard

Absolute Force hand protection

<< < (3/6) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-08-14, 15:18:16 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-08-14, 14:49:16 ---So is it impossible to use a grip with your index finger around the ricasso then?

--- End quote ---

Yes, that's true, but for most HEMA, we're using swords where that would be a bad idea anyway. Rapiers have protective hilts anyway, and that pretty much just leaves ring-hilts where you'd want to put your finger over the crossguard.

With most European style crossguards, putting your finger over the crossguard is a good way to lose it.

--- End quote ---

I'm so used to gripping with my bottom two fingers, and directing with my top two, the split-finger design looks almost perfect. Just need to remember to measure my hand and head (for the mask).

Sir Edward:
I played with them a little tonight. My hand measures about 8" around, so I went with the Medium, since they said 8.5" and down is M, and 9" and up is L. I wish they were just slightly longer in the wrist, but it still works on me. There's no real extra room for a leather glove. I can barely manage it with some leather gloves, and it fits better without.

I went through some motions, and they'll definitely take some getting used to. The clamshell catches on the crossguard sometimes, though it rolls over into the "thumb grip" pretty easily. Recovering from that is what seems to trip me up.

I won't be using them all the time, but when I know I need some real safety, I'll give them a shot.

Lord Dane:
How much were those, Sir Edward?? They don't look like much protection in the pics for hand strikes (even if for just practice). Much prefer my heavy leather gloves in my profile pic. I wear those under my gauntlets and they are perfect for heavy combat or practice with wooden wasters.

Sir Edward:
They were about $130, and they're definitely protective. High impact stuff. I'm more concerned with how they'll move, so I need to use them in a fight to see. In some ways steel gaunts are still a lot better, but these also protect a few places that we've taken injuries in steel gaunts.

One of the problems with steel gaunts is that some of the plate edges can get rammed into your hand, or the blade can slip under the plates and strike your finger directly.

These don't have much in the way of weak spots. Even at the wrist, where it looks thinnner, it's overlapping layers.

Sir Brian:
Hmm, they do look promising. Do you think you'll be able to make it to MASHS this Sunday?
We can give them a go then.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version