Main > The Courtyard

John Clement, not being knightly.... again.

<< < (4/18) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-06-21, 18:19:13 ---I inject a little levity to say this- none of us should take ownership for his snide comments to the sword community at-large, it simply does not apply to us.

--- End quote ---

This is the most important thing to remember with this. Having sat at lunch with John Clements and a hand full of his students for an hour or so, back in 2009 or 2010, he is not nearly as abrasive in person as he comes off to be online, and his frustration goes well beyond the WMA community and out into the general populace, Hollywood and all. While he will take pot-shots at the SCA and other WMA groups around almost every corner, the majority of his ire was directed at people who think and perpetrate the notion that medieval combat was like two cavemen slowly banging clubs together while drooling on each other and pooping themselves at the same time.

Sir Edward:

That may be true, but boy, whenever he writes, he spends half the article taking shots at everyone else and displaying unending levels of arrogance. A lot of people come off differently in person than they do in their writing, but you'd think that when writing online, you would want to be as credible as possible. To me, when it's dripping with attitude, the credibility goes out the window.

SirNathanQ:
I feel the same way. IMO it's more forgivable to come off as some guy with attitude in speech than one's writing. when writing you have to deliberately consider everything twice (thinking it out, and then writing it down), as opposed to speaking, where if a person lacks tact they can spew off every little thing that enters their brain. He had to take a look at what he wrote, and say "Yes, this is the message I want the public to see." 

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-06-21, 23:32:54 ---That may be true, but boy, whenever he writes, he spends half the article taking shots at everyone else and displaying unending levels of arrogance. A lot of people come off differently in person than they do in their writing, but you'd think that when writing online, you would want to be as credible as possible. To me, when it's dripping with attitude, the credibility goes out the window.

--- End quote ---

Oh, absolutely, he's a ****** of the highest level online. No disagreement there. :) Just speaking from an "offline" perspective. In person, he lost my interest when he said 'what is learned in the ARMA circle, stays in the ARMA circle, and thou shalt have no other teachers', before I had even taken any other WMA classes/events - which is a shame, because there's an ARMA group ~20 minutes from me, vs the ~75 minutes to VAF (the closest other WMA group) - but I won't support their attitude.

Lord Dane:
Maybe it's just me but it looks like some medieval variation of any of the "Jackass" movie sequels. Just saying.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version