Main > The Courtyard

Broke a Meyer!

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-06-13, 14:16:38 ---I think the thrust that did it in was enough fro the crowd. According to our squire, there was a collective gasp and everyone stopped and stared...
--- End quote ---
… and having been on the receiving end of that particular thrust I can confirm that it was well executed!  ;)

Actually I had stepped into that thrust too late while I was attempting to void the thrust and cleave your head as I did to end our duel from the previous day when I sidestepped into your thrust to my chest and let the point pass beneath my arm. :)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-06-13, 14:16:38 ---I think the thrust that did it in was enough fro the crowd. According to our squire, there was a collective gasp and everyone stopped and stared...

--- End quote ---

I saw their faces, it was a rather inspiring moment.

SirNathanQ:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-06-13, 15:03:54 ---
--- End quote ---
… and having been on the receiving end of that particular thrust I can confirm that it was well executed!  ;)

Actually I had stepped into that thrust too late while I was attempting to void the thrust and cleave your head as I did to end our duel from the previous day when I sidestepped into your thrust to my chest and let the point pass beneath my arm. :)

--- End quote ---

Which I must say was a fantastic play, Sir Brian! Even on the receiving end, I could do naught but admire!       
I think that and the Albion-rending thrust (Lord, I hope I never have to type the phrase "Albion-rending" ever again!  :o)  were our Mortal Combat style "finishers" for the day.  ;)

Sir Rodney:
Oh bummer...  :'(

Sir Edward:

These sorts of incidents just underscore how careful we have to be about power and control of the weapon. Ideally, even if the other person steps into it, we should be prepared to pull back on the sword so that it doesn't bend so hard.

Imagine doing this sort of thrust, where the sword bends, and actually snaps right then and there. Let's say the thrust was to the throat, and the recipient wasn't wearing a gorget. Scary things can happen.

Accidents can and do happen, of course, and we can't plan for every possible contingency. And clearly I've done exactly this sort of thing several times, or else the sword wouldn't have broken when it did.

But as I've said elsewhere, analyzing and discussing these things will make us safer swordsmen in the long run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version