Main > The Armoury

New helm?

(1/7) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Well I been wearing my maille a few times at faires and I've learned that my kettle helm does NOT fit well over my maille coif, actually had rings digging into my forehead which hurt a bit. Maybe I need a large size helm similar to Joe Metz's kettle helm? Not really sure where to get one that is the design I want and isnt too heavy, I'm sorta fed up with the rings digging into me and cutting me due to the helm being too small... Any suggestions for a helmet type?

Bernarr:
How big is your head with your padding/mail on? A lot of places will make you a custom fit helm, you just need to get your measurements right

Sir Ulrich:
I'm not sure but my head circumference is 22 1/2 inches, the padding is VERY thin and is only there really to keep the maille out of my hair. My coif is rather tight on my head and with the helm over it the helm can handle being on with JUST the padded coif but the maille over the padded coif is too much. I actually cut my forehead open pretty badly trying to force the helmet down, dont need that to happen again so I need a more comfortable helm, prolly in a larger size. I been considering the GDFB helms but they're 14 gauge which is too heavy for me, I am looking for 16-18 gauge to keep the weight down. Plus I only like kettle helms with a SINGLE ridge going down the center, the 4 segmented ones I dont like as much. Sucks being picky when in the USA you have limited options. May have to go with GDFB cause they're the only people I know who sells helms in size large and they're probably designed to go together with their coifs which I have a GDFB coif.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I'm not sure but my head circumference is 22 1/2 inches, the padding is VERY thin and is only there really to keep the maille out of my hair. My coif is rather tight on my head and with the helm over it the helm can handle being on with JUST the padded coif but the maille over the padded coif is too much. I actually cut my forehead open pretty badly trying to force the helmet down, dont need that to happen again so I need a more comfortable helm, prolly in a larger size. I been considering the GDFB helms but they're 14 gauge which is too heavy for me, I am looking for 16-18 gauge to keep the weight down. Plus I only like kettle helms with a SINGLE ridge going down the center, the 4 segmented ones I dont like as much. Sucks being picky when in the USA you have limited options. May have to go with GDFB cause they're the only people I know who sells helms in size large and they're probably designed to go together with their coifs which I have a GDFB coif.
--- End quote ---

I see, sounds like you need a custom made Helm, which Helm are you looking at?

Bernarr:
Found this one in 18ga-
http://www.timelesstailors.com/p-3596-14th-century-kettle-hat-gh0152.aspx

Is that the style you're looking for? They also offer custom sizing, too, which basically just negates the $25 off for using 18ga rather than 16ga. Standard size is 23.5", so if you have less than an inch of padding/mail you should be good with the standard size.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version