Main > The Armoury

Antique 16th century plate legs - or at least, they look like it (RemOil is BAD)

<< < (6/9) > >>

Ian:
The last time I was in harness was about 2 months ago, and it got covered in a fine layer of dirt and crud from the Tampa ren faire.  All I did was come hope and wipe it down with a cloth to remove the dirt and apply a thin layer of Breakfree CLP.  Used a green scrubby on any areas that had a little surface rust.  My gauntlets are on display on the bookshelf in my living room and are exposed to humidity changes, and they haven't required a touch up in 2 months.  After about 24 hrs, Breakfree CLP tends to thicken up a bit and form a more protective layer on whatever you've applied it to, so far it's working like a charm!  You should be able to find it at any gun store, or online at amazon.

Sir James A:
Two days later, and my "grey CLR" cleanings are still looking good.

The half gaunt plate with RemOil that I wiped on with a cloth looks good. The one I sprayed on has a few small rust spots forming up; nothing at all like what happened with the legs, though. Nowhere near it, just a few tiny, self-contained bits. The sabatons that started rusting, which I think from RemOil overspray, is just light surface rust; and that's ~6 weeks of time, too.

It's definitely looking like the culprit is the "blue CLR". Last test will be to rust up a plate with it later this week, to confirm.

Here's the comparison study I found: http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html I picked up a small bottle of the Eezox. I haven't found a local gun store yet (at least online) ... which seems crazy in West VA. Wal-Mart carries Breakfree, but something called "Breakfree blaster" and not the CLP. I'm hoping I can find somewhere local with it.

Sir Edward:

There's a gun shop in Leesburg right on Catoctin Circle, if you want to check there. It's called Loudoun Guns.

Sir Wolf:
hehehe get sucked in after oil, leave with 12 rifles... or is this just me?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2012-07-10, 18:49:23 ---hehehe get sucked in after oil, leave with 12 rifles... or is this just me?

--- End quote ---

Not me. I own no guns, except my grandfather's non-firing antique rifle. :)

I do have projectile weapons though. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version