Main > The Armoury

Maille Standard

<< < (5/5)

Sir Brian:
Excellent Allan and as always you and your family are in my prayers!

SirNathanQ:
And In mine!  :)

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-05-20, 17:19:50 ---Thanks Sir James. Yeah, the Italians were funky. I've seen some images that show almost 3/4 sleeves of maille over a full arm harness.

The Standard appears to be interchangable for a bevor or gorget for most of the 15th century. Apparenty also quite popular in Germany. It's also ridiclously easy to make. I'll post something in the Workshop if you all wish.

--- End quote ---

To add to the others, well-done Sir Nathan. Maille wearers of the early era were easily vulnerable to neck strikes (especially wearing closed-style barrel helmets whether transitional, Pembridge, etc. that limited a knight's visibility greatly from upward or lateral strikes).  Bevors added better protection as plate armor progressed but I still prefer the closed-helmets to more open ones (Sallets, or similar).  Italians & Germans had the best armorers during the early Rennaissance but the Normans & English certainly advanced the maille era.  Of course, that's just my opinion.

Sir Wolf:
there arent that many coif's found. i think more and more most were attached to the hauberk and had a ventail even with a helmet to prevent upward cuts etc.

SirNathanQ:
Also we do have evidence of primitive gorgets (often of iron or whalebone construction) worn underneath coifs in the 13th century. Maille alone on the neck will do a good job of protecting you from points and edges. But blunt trauma to the neck is deadly, and maille and padding alone are a bit less-than desirable IMO.

Also, thank you Lord Dane  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version