Main > The Armoury

The Sword of St. Maurice of Turin

<< < (3/4) > >>

Das Bill:
There's some confusion here.

Albion's sword is the Turin St Maurice sword, which is from the 13th century.

The MRL and the A&A sword replicate the coronation sword of the Holy Roman Emperor, and from the 10th century (though the engraving was added two centuries later). Same saint; Different sword.

As I understand it, the Turin sword was a cavalry sword, and thus had quite a bit of blade presence for sweeping cuts from above on horseback to footsoldiers who weren't standing there parrying and riposting. When thought about in that context, it makes more sense for the balance to be what it is. The other St Maurice sword, being a coronation sword, probably wasn't designed with balance or proper handling in mind.

I suspect the A&A more closely resembles the handling characteristics of the original (just guessing, as I've never handled the original), but the MRL one probably has a more "lively" feel so as to cater to the modern market who doesn't care about how accurate it is. The MRL one looks pretty "chunky", but the price point is certainly reflective of that.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-05-17, 15:35:52 --- I have never held the Albion one, but the Arms & Armor one is similar in vein...tip heavy, strong blade presence.  I'd call it a wrist breaker for someone such as myself...Sir Brian might have a better time of it.
--- End quote ---

I wouldn’t be sure of that! …especially since I’ve been trying to recuperate from a bout of chronic ‘sabre’ elbow – which is the same as tennis elbow but sounds *cooler*  ;D

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2012-05-18, 16:50:36 ---There's some confusion here.
Same saint; Different sword.

--- End quote ---

Ahah! I never compared them closely. Thank you for setting it straight!

Sir James A:
Great point, Das Bill. Gravity is the friend of the mounted warrior - unless someone is trying to pull him off his horse. Tip-heavy will help blast through whatever it's swung at when it's horse-propelled and traveling downwards.

Sir William:
Thanks Bill...as it stands, I was thinking of the Albion version when I wrote my post, despite saying 'A&A'.  I imagine the man who would've wielded such a behemoth would be quite burly.

'Saber elbow'...I like that way better than 'tennis elbow' as I don't play tennis.  Do you, Sir Brian?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version