Main > The Armoury

Svante Nilsson sword

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2008-07-15, 03:33:41 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-07-14, 20:48:01 --- Personally, if I bought antiques, it would be for the selfish goal of having a piece of history within my reach, since I'm not a teacher.
--- End quote ---

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd still be buying them for me. ;)

But I do like to bring in my antique smallswords whenever I have my rapier students go through a smallsword segment.

--- End quote ---

I know, you just have more of an excuse than I do, to justify it. :) Having said that, I'd like to get one eventually.

I don't think I've looked at your smallswords. I'll have to see them sometime.

Sir Wolf:
and i say again

u

r

nuts

Michael Edelson:
One of my guys has the Svante, and although I like it a lot, I'm not as nuts about it as most you guys seem to be.

First, it's a heavy sword.  A very heavy sword.  When you pick it up and take a few swings, you don't feel it because of the balance, but when you start to work with it, boy do you realize real quick that you can't beat the laws of physics with fancy balancing.  The sword is a beast.

Second, it doesn't cut all that well because of it's thickness.

Other than that, it's a great sword, and wonderful job of recreating the original.  It is more the original I am griping about the Albion.

Now the Brescia Spadona...that is a masterpiece.

Sir Edward:
Those are some good points. I haven't tried cutting with it, but then, that's not the entire picture of a sword either.

I recently got the Albion Baron, and it's similar in weight to the Svante, but without the light balancing. Personally, I think it handles quite well for it's mass, even though it's clearly more blade heavy. And it cuts very well.

The Svante strikes me as a better thrusting sword, but I've never handled it. :)

Ah, the Brescia Spadona... that was the one you brought with you to Swordfest, right? I handled it briefly, I recall. Not long enough to get a good feel for it, but I can see why it's so popular. Very nice sword, indeed!

Michael Edelson:
If the Svante is a good thrusting sword, why does it have such a useless tip? :)

I think the reason the Brescia Spadona is such a popular sword is because it is a civilian weapon, a personal weapon made for dueling and other forms of personal combat, whereas the Svante is a war sword, made to survive heavy bashing (at least as far as popular conjecture goes).  The BS is the optimal perosnal weapon...beautifully balanced, light, etc.

When I first picked up the BS I was not impressed with it because I felt nothing...nothing at all.  A few days later, I realized the significance of that.  I felt nothing.  I was holding a sword, but it was like I wasn't.  The sword was an extension of my body.

The only problem with owning the BS is that once you get used to working with it, other swords just won't do.  It makes them seem clumsy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version