Main > The Armoury

Svante Nilsson sword

<< < (2/4) > >>

Das Bill:
The balance is definately a large factor. The thing is, though, I normally *hate* two handed swords with such a close balance point. They usually feel clumsy. This one, however, is just right. The maker of the original did a wonderful job of mass distribution and proportion, and combined with the balance, make an incredibly powerful but remarkably fast sword.

But alas, if I were to put that much money towards a single sword, I probably would be purchasing an antique.

Sir Edward:
True enough, that's getting into the antique price range. However, as Oakeshott once said, with a reproduction you can truly own it. With a period antique, you're just its caretaker for a while. :)

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-07-13, 01:51:47 ---However, as Oakeshott once said, with a reproduction you can truly own it. With a period antique, you're just its caretaker for a while. :)
--- End quote ---

Very true. For myself, though, if I could afford more antiques, I would be using them for the purpose of educating students. I buy reproductions because I can afford multiple ones that are made with highly accurate representations of certain aspects (such as different blade typologies) and use those to help students understand period weaponry. If I had the choice, they'd all be antiques.

But the Svante is still one that I'd love to own anyway. :)

Sir Edward:

Yep, I understand. And using them for educational purposes is really a great idea, I think. There's really nothing better than going "straight to the source", so to speak. Personally, if I bought antiques, it would be for the selfish goal of having a piece of history within my reach, since I'm not a teacher. The closest I'm coming to that currently is a couple of period keys. They're a lot cheaper than period swords. :)

So many swords, so little money! :)

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-07-14, 20:48:01 --- Personally, if I bought antiques, it would be for the selfish goal of having a piece of history within my reach, since I'm not a teacher.
--- End quote ---

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd still be buying them for me. ;)

But I do like to bring in my antique smallswords whenever I have my rapier students go through a smallsword segment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version