Main > The Courtyard

HEMA/WMA Swordfighting on the cheap

<< < (3/3)

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Rattan is great when you're in steel armor, but for most HEMA "Blossfechten", it's done with padding and a fencing mask/helmet, since it's unarmored combat that's being recreated. So something lighter hitting is ideal.
--- End quote ---

Yep!  :)

--- Quote ---But yeah, any time you face off against an opponent, there's a certain amount of trust that must exist that you won't try to actually hurt each other. Accidents happen of course, since we are after-all trying to do a martial art. Injuries will happen. But if someone is being unsafe, careless, reckless, etc, it's perfectly fine to choose not to fight them.
--- End quote ---

That I agree Sir Edward!  These are the real expectations when bouting, however when the partner is acting unsafe, careless/reckless, don't fight him unless you want a multitude of injuries.

Thorsteinn:
How is only needing to cover the head, knee's, elbows, crotch, & kidneys any different than what would be needed for say.... vigorous unarmoured sparring with Dwarven Forges nylon wasters?  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IWexmx_nLpM#t=298s
Go to 4:30.
"Me vs Michael-Forrest M. doing HEMA Longsword.

I was practicing my 'No Mind' technique. At he end of the video my last glancing shot broke his finger badly due to him not wearing adequate/no hand protection.

This may have been the last time we sparred and one of the last Mike sparred."

Edit: On Wednesdays I go do some Kedo/Kenjitsu sparring with a local TKD Bu-Kwa-Jang-Nim using little to no protection and Shinai. Works great until you do things like throw a shot in demonstration that very easily goes from a tap to a broken rib, that happened last night.

But we are scheduled for another bout next week. So he must be OK.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-04-26, 19:33:46 ---We've migrated away from wooden wasters, and in our group aluminum never caught on. The aluminum doesn't really afford you anything over steel except maybe being cheaper (depending on who makes it). The aluminum blades have to be made fairly thick to get the right weight, which is fine in the sense that you want wide edges to be safe. However, it doesn't have the sort of flex that steel does, so they have no give at all. So you might as well use steel.
--- End quote ---

As you know Sir Edward we use the aluminum blades almost exclusively at MASHS, some of us are using steel more often but with one of our assistant instructors capable of producing them @ $100 they are a very economical alternative for newer students. I personally enjoy using both but the aluminum blades bruise me up the most. I do prefer an aluminum blade for some techniques that my Meyer is sometimes just to flexible to pull off well which is ironically the most condemning argument verses aluminum blades, they deny the true characteristics and feel of steel.   ;)

Sir Edward:

Yep, that's true, the rigidity helps in the bind. But sharps have a decent amount of flex, particularly historical ones. :)

Of course there's no such thing as a perfect simulator, but steel will always give you the most realistic experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version