Main > The Courtyard

HEMA/WMA Swordfighting on the cheap

(1/3) > >>

Sir Edward:
I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss/suggest inexpensive equipment options for people who want to get started with HEMA or WMAW swordplay.

Probably the hardest bit to start with is the sword simulator. Other basic starter gear, such as some sort of jacket/gambeson, fencing mask, and lacrosse gloves are pretty straightforward.

The cheapest AND safest option I've found so far is horrendously ugly, but does the job. You can take a shinai, add a "thrusting tip" by rolling some foam around the end (such that it extends the length of the shinai by 2-3 inches), and then replacing the flat katana-style guard with a crossguard made from PVC. This is really easy to do. For the guard, it's just a 4-way pipe adapter, with two pieces of pipe (maybe 3" long), and two end-caps, all for 1" PVC pipe.

These look horrendously makeshift. But they absorb hits very well, to the point that I think even the padded swords hit harder. So they're relatively safe as starter/practice weapons. Of course, they don't perform the same as steel swords do under a variety of circumstances, such as in the bind. But they also don't require a massive amount of safety gear either. You can get away with lacrosse gloves and a fencing jacket, whereas with a steel sword, you really want steel gauntlets and a gambeson, and probably arm and elbow pads, and a chest protector. That's a huge difference.

Thorsteinn:
An 8'6" pole of Rattan is $20 and gives you multiple simulator options.

Sir Edward:
True, but I'm talking about lighter-hitting (relatively) HEMA/WMA. :)

Shinai only cost around $20-$25, and will work as a good longsword simulator that lets you do crossguard work and (with the padding) safely thrust.

Thorsteinn:
SCA minimums are no bigger than you would need for energetic Shinai use.

You can get that 1.25" stuff and plane it down to 1" on 2 sides. That will give you a lot of good (with extra for the cross guard), and shinai give a false sense of safety, people think you CAN go without protection so they do.

There is also the Cold Steel method. 2 simulators for about $50.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, the Cold Steel trainers certainly work as starters as well. I don't like the weight and balance on them very much, but at about $25 each, they do the job.

A much better synthetic waster can be had from Purple Heart, but they cost considerably more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version