Main > The Armoury

Late 14th C Heraldic Surcoat

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir William:
I have a red one; think they're called jupons at some point, that's what mine is.  Dagged front in the castle style, or whatever you call it; I got mine from the Morgana Collection, an ebaY retailer who makes all of the gear he sells.  Or so he says.  lol  Good, sturdy stuff though.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-04-14, 01:04:31 ---My wife will be making it

--- End quote ---

In that case, I second the link Rauttskegg posted - assuming you post pics when it's done. :)

Ian:
So, we decided to wing it on the pattern.  We bought linen and I stood there in gambeson / maille / breastplate to get the proportions right.

I decided to go with felt for the charges and we'll sew them to the base garment.  We may add some detailing to the charges using sewn on black thread, but we'll see.  Aside from sewing on the devices, we need to add lacing eyelets on the side to give it the form fitted look of the late 14th century.  Since there were no such thing as metal eyelets / grommets like a modern garment would use for lacing, I'm undecided if I want to try and do this the hand-stitched way, which is a giant pain in the butt, or just use metal eyelets.  But this is where we're at so far:

Hahaha, and I realize now that I laid the crossed swords on upside down... good thing my wife didn't sew them on yet! :)

Sir Wolf:
haahhahha awesome

Sir Edward:
It's looking fantastic! Yes, definitely correct the orientation and then sew it together. :)

Personally I'd just go with the metal grommets. It won't be that visible... but then, I have a higher tolerance for cheating than a lot of other folks do. Another option is to do a hybrid, and hand-stitch thread over the grommets to hide them. It doesn't save much work, but it does make a nice strong hole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version