Main > The Armoury

Late 14th C Heraldic Surcoat

<< < (4/7) > >>

Sir Patrick:
Very nice!  It's funny, I've been kicking around doing appliques in felt for my surcoat, but wasn't sure about the "periodness" of it.  Since your stuff is always spot on, looks like I need to grab some felt!

Ian:
Thank you, but be forewarned, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of appliqued felt. I'm really just guessing.  It was that or paint, and I didn't want to ruin my wife's efforts with a bad paint job by me.  I know felted wool was around, however, it's use on heraldic surcoats is purely a guess on my part.

Sir Edward:
Silk appliques are period, but I have no idea about felt. (with the usual caveat that silk was super-expensive at the time)

Sir Wolf:
i have a feeling if they were not silk they were wool. linen color tends to run when wet and unravel when sewn. Felt would have meant wool felt. cotton would not have been used in Europe yet. I believe it was found in the Med. area as curtains.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-17, 11:55:46 ---Silk appliques are period, but I have no idea about felt. (with the usual caveat that silk was super-expensive at the time)

--- End quote ---

And like linen not always colorfast!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version