"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Workbench time  (Read 2897 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Workbench time
« on: 2012-02-29, 05:25:40 »
I dusted off something else from a good 15 years back. The first "armor work bench" I ever made. I took some 2x4s and shelving boards dad had laying around (hey, there weren't nailed to anything, it was fine ... right?). I "updated" it, and got it set up in a corner in the garage so I can do some basic tinkering again. Thought I'd post pics of a neat idea I had while cleaning some unrelated mess. I forgot to take a picture of the bench as it was from 15 years ago, before I started working. In this picture, the only recent addition is the "ladder frame" on the bottom:

Add a shelf board:

Hello, anvil (technically ASO - anvil shaped object - but enough to peen rivets and some light stuff)!

Getting there

Hooray for organized tools and hardware!

Dishing donut and stake holder bolted down and ready to go:

And the idea I had. In the earlier picture, you can see I had the hammers on the lower shelf. I found a stray exhaust u-clamp, and thought "hey, I could put a hammer in that". So I picked up a couple from home depot and made a "hammer rack" on the side:

Simple little project. Start with a u-clamp; they're about $1-$1.50 each, depending what size you get.

Drill holes, take the nuts and plate off the U, put 2 nuts back on the U and tighten them up. These will hold the U from going through the holes and keep it "out" from the wood.

Repeat as desired:

Now, put the metal strap back over the U on the *inside* of the bench.

Thread some nuts on to hold the plates down (you need to buy a second set, the U hook only comes with 2), and it's ready to go! Don't overtighten the nuts on the plates; it should be snug enough to not wiggle around, but if you try to overtighten it too much, the nut/washer will start to compress and eat into the wood.

There's some cobwebs and muck under there. The yellow foamy looking stuff is "Great Stuff". It's a spray-can foam sealant that I used to fill the gap between the two shelving boards to keep washers and shavings from falling on the stuff on the shelf below. Pardon the mess. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Workbench time
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-29, 11:54:57 »
yeah!

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-29, 13:24:35 »
Get to work!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-29, 14:31:41 »
Excellent! I wish I had the space to do this. Maybe in the next house. :)

Getting organized with the tools makes all the difference, IMHO.

I love "Great Stuff". I've made entire Halloween props out of it. It's awesome, but I recommend to anyone working with it extensively not to wear clothes they care about. Heh :)
« Last Edit: 2012-02-29, 14:33:04 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-29, 17:35:40 »
Nice...very nice.  I've got some things in the works gents...who knows, maybe I'll even have space for a workbench setup!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€