Main > The Armoury

Maille chausses

<< < (5/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I'd probably have a new gambeson and padded chausses by now if my folks werent so "iffy" about me ordering overseas. I cant find a single place that offers a linen gambeson and padded chausses to go under my armor.

Sir Wolf:
i think vitus on the armour archive is working or selling linen leg padding. i remember a post some time last month...

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-02-10, 23:28:52 --- only issue is heard greaves are VERY uncomfortable without padding. The last link I'm debating on getting them connected or separate, separate would be more versatile and period probably. They're not padded obviously so I'm gonna need padding under the rather thin linen chausses I already have.

--- End quote ---

Greaves are quite comfortable when made properly.  They're one of the most difficult pieces of armor to make correctly because they must be shaped to your leg so well.  This is the one piece of armor that my armorer had to take molds of my leg to do right.  The weight of the greave should be supported by the shape of the leg and rest on the calf.  They become uncomfortable when they're made short and dig in to your shin because they're shaped improperly, or when they're too big and all the weight of the greave rests on the top of your foot.  This is how most modern munition greaves are done unfortunately.  Schynbalds are also period and require much less precision of fit and form, and are way cheaper.

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-02-16, 06:08:36 ---I'd probably have a new gambeson and padded chausses by now if my folks werent so "iffy" about me ordering overseas. I cant find a single place that offers a linen gambeson and padded chausses to go under my armor.

--- End quote ---

1. Made in America, but not cheap, and they're off-the-rack sizes http://www.revivalclothing.com/14thcenturylinengambeson.aspx
2. Sir Gareth not only makes Gambesons but also makes the Gamboised Cuisses you're looking for http://gambesons.com/category/gambesons  **Standard gambeson is in cotton denim, but he'll do it in Linen as well according to his site
3. Jessica Finley will make anything you want out of anything you want http://fuhlendesigns.com/  **Price comparable to the Revival Clothing offering, BUT this is full custom work and will fit your body perfectly!!  She's also awesome to do business with, and I bet she can make you gamboised cuisses as well.

The term you should search for also is either gamboised cuisse, or padded cuisse, not necessarly chausses, as chausses more refers to a piece of clothing, not a piece of padded armor.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-02-16, 13:11:45 ---3. Jessica Finley will make anything you want out of anything you want http://fuhlendesigns.com/  **Price comparable to the Revival Clothing offering, BUT this is full custom work and will fit your body perfectly!!  She's also awesome to do business with, and I bet she can make you gamboised cuisses as well.

--- End quote ---

I'll vouch for Jess's work. I've gotten a chance to see some of it close-up recently (she moved into our area, and lives about 20 minutes from me now).

She definitely is amazingly flexible with materials. One of her pieces that I got to see at VAF last week was one made with non-newtonian fluid material as part of the armor. You know, like silly-putty that gets hard under an impact, but is flexible rest of the time. I think she said that she won't work with that particular material again.... but it's an example of her willingness to experiment.

She also makes things quite durable.

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote ---One of her pieces that I got to see at VAF last week was one made with non-newtonian fluid material as part of the armor. You know, like silly-putty that gets hard under an impact, but is flexible rest of the time.
--- End quote ---

Who was the client?  Batman? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version