Main > The Armoury

Pauldrons catching breastplate

<< < (2/6) > >>

merc3065:
I'll get some pics after I get home from work :)

But I'll be using the vice grips with a bit of padding in between the jaws.  I've used this method before repairing fenders and other pieces of sheet metal with good results.  I don't have any sort of vice or other device let alone a work bench.  My lap is my workbench and my hands/car tools are my tools.

merc3065:

Second photo I had the gorget on backwards.
The more I work with these pauldrons the more I detest their construction and functionality.  A single strap on the top and a single at the base of the lames that go down your upper arm is not enough.  I think if it had 2 straps on the top it would work better with the gorget that is in use to hold it up on your shoulders.

Any sort of movement with a sword for example (standard longsword stances) causes the upper piece to flip or if they are too loose, the top plate falls forward on your arm causing you to stop and readjust.  Comments?

Sir Wolf:
ok soem quick suggestions.

put the gorget under the breast n back.
pull the breastplate up a bit, it looks like it's sagging down to far,

you may need to point the pauldrons up higher on the shoulder area.

merc3065:
I'll try the gorget underneath.
Breastplate and backplate can't go up any further otherwise they are right up under my armpit and I'll look like I'm a "T".

What do you mean by point the pauldrons higher?  the edges like I was thinking or something else?
Sucks when you get something that is adjustable but really wasn't made specific to you.  Appreciate the help!

Allan Senefelder:
" put the gorget under the breast n back. "

Yep this is how they were worn historically. This will make the whole rig sit differently.

" pull the breastplate up a bit, it looks like it's sagging down to far, "

I believe you if you say it can't go higher it just looks in the pic like theres more room under the arm. By sitting higher it would change to location of the arm opening in relation to the edge of the shoulder defense.

" What do you mean by point the pauldrons higher? "

He means the shoulder defense looks to be sitting to far out from the neck and shoulder joint. Snug them up close to the neck. This will again change how they interact with the arm openings.

Based on the pics it seems much of you issue has to do with how you're wearing them. Doesn't mean they'll work perfect worn differently but by eliminating things that are definite issues things can be narrowed down as pertains to the fix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version