Main > The Armoury

Pauldrons catching breastplate

<< < (5/6) > >>

SirNathanQ:
I reccomend the Agincourt arming cotte. It's held up great for over 3 years now for me, and it really just makes my harness feel "Right"

Ian:

--- Quote from: merc3065 on 2012-01-22, 02:26:42 ---hah :) I still have to get a sword and shield yet...

--- End quote ---

Believe it or not, arming garments are a lot more important. The comfort of a harness and the way it moves with your body is almost entirely dependent on the foundation clothing you have it pointed too.

The revival agincourt arming coat is an excellent choice for early 15th century onwards, as it will support your leg harness as well as your arms.  The other option if your going pre 1400 or so is a combination of pourpoint (leg harness support) and gambeson (padded garment on top that can support the arm harness, but also doubles as padding for maille). A straight up arming doublet like the agincourt cote is not padded and will not cushion maille, it's designed for full plate.  This may influence what you're interested in.

But take it from us, a good set of armong clothes can make all the difference in the world when it comes to comfort and mobility in harness.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-01-27, 13:02:59 ---But take it from us, a good set of armong clothes can make all the difference in the world when it comes to comfort and mobility in harness.

--- End quote ---

This. Granted, if you have poorly fitted armor, there's only so much you can do. But the foundation garments will make a world of difference. They'll largely determine how the weight distributes, and how well the armor sits in the right places.

Sir Brian:
Also keep in mind that no matter how well made the under garments are made there will still require the occasional modification to either lend better support of your armor and/or additional padding in the more troublesome chafing areas, which you’ll really only be able to discover those areas after you’ve been rubbed raw once or twice!  ;)

Allan Senefelder:

--- Quote ---Believe it or not, arming garments are a lot more important.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---But take it from us, a good set of armong clothes can make all the difference in the world when it comes to comfort and mobility in harness.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---This. Granted, if you have poorly fitted armor, there's only so much you can do. But the foundation garments will make a world of difference. They'll largely determine how the weight distributes, and how well the armor sits in the right places.

--- End quote ---

All of these. I cannot tell you how many times i've had to talk some one into getting decent arming clothes. They're not visible so theres no glitz factor, you can't " play " with them like pieces of armour, and without the armour you don't " look like a knight " but good foundation garments are absolutely essential to making armour wearing not just bearable but in fact " comfortable " ( in as much as humping and extra coupla dozen pounds is likely to be ). Good arming clothes make all the difference between a miserable short lived day in harness and a decent expirience wearing your gear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version