"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Is it still wrong if another culture says it is right?  (Read 12262 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Is it still wrong if another culture says it is right?
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-09, 22:09:18 »
Brian, I am beginning to suspect that we are a lot more alike than I had previously thought...it was like you took the thought right from my brain-pan! 

The thing that irks me is this: had they actually fought, this kid would've been in trouble.  My nephew's no slouch, and even though years of training in karate doesn't necessarily make you good- he was good.  Those sorts of programs don't really prepare kids for this type of instance...I see them more as ways to learn honor, discipline and maybe get into physical form but they are still kids and are taught to keep their hands to themselves.  Well...the ones who have parents that actually give a damn about their kids.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-10, 00:30:22 »
Yeah. I take Karate, and it's not of much particular use in a lot of situations. However, I also take a self defense/Karate-based class (by the same guys) and it's great.

There are few situations where I'd fight with someone (That junk kinda sticks to records if done in inopportune places nowadays), but self-defense is an entirely different matter.
He's struck at you already, so he obviously wants to injure you, so IMO, I'd better keep at it until he can't hit me any more. Simple logic, really  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Andrew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-10, 01:04:52 »
Sadness...truly.
  Sir William, I am sorry for your example, yet I have a tendency to agree with Ian, but in the fact the kids have become de-sensitized with vid-games that are graphic, violent, etc.....

I think the problem lies (in your case), in the fact that they were probably shocked that something like that happened in THEIR world, if you take my meaning. It wasn't a game, but something they witnessed, and it was no longer a "game".... My condolences, good Sir....