Main > The Courtyard

Combat Of The Thirty video

<< < (5/8) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-01-12, 01:49:25 ---I usually get about 45min to an hour of exercise about 5 days a week, and do well.

--- End quote ---

If you eat right that's really all you need to be in very good shape, as long as you use that time wisely.  You definitely don't need to spend hours and hours in the gym to get in to great shape.

Thorsteinn:
My rotator cuff is torn because I didn't exercise enough before going out and fighting alot over 3 days.

There. I said it. I was too fat and old to do that in those weather conditions.

Sir Edward:
Yeah, there's a variety of charts out there that show your optimal heart rates, adjusted for age. I push it into the upper zone for my age, but not beyond. I can feel when I'm getting to that point, as it's difficult to push harder. So don't worry, I'm not overstressing myself. :)

I started out doing lots of resistance work too, but slacked off. I need to start that up again as well.

Sir Brian:
At nearly 49 years old I’m finding myself constantly on the losing side of the ‘battle of the bulge’. In your forties your testosterone production can drastically drop off, which will affect your metabolism; muscle mass and energy level so as you age you should make sure to get a complete physical to help identify any such deficiencies. Even though I walk several miles a day it doesn’t do much for my overall stamina which I really need to work on my off days of WMA training.  :-\

One issue I’ve been plagued with in recent months is a bad case of ‘lateral epicondylitis’ (tennis elbow) which can be directly attributed and compounded by computer usage. The best prescribed treatment is to rest it but I can’t rest it if my job depends on my using that arm with a computer mouse. I’ve considered eventually getting cortisone shots for it but recent studies cast some serious doubts of cortisone injections effectiveness, mainly they actually impede the full recovery process as opposed to physical therapy and rest.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2012-01-11, 03:07:18 ---Me vs my mom at May Coronet last year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschine#p/u/62/gojSBD_euKc

I will be adding splint migration period greaves and arms, an aventail, and a byrnie. I feel I will get better for this (Look good. Feel good. Fight good). We have a guy up here who will be a top end fighter soon enough named Alesz who fights in full plate from head to toe. The reason he does so well is fit of kit. He makes everything but his helm and has talent so everything he does fits him and is mounted properly.

Perhaps the fit of the kit was messing with you to? In plate, more than any other armour, proper fit matters so very much.

-Ivan

--- End quote ---

That's a good looking SCA harness, Ivan. I like the cuirass. Splint greaves and arms would really make it "pop".

The fitment of my kit was as good as can be expected from an internet order. It was full pseudo-16th Cent italian, full breast and back with faulds and tassets, pauldrons (not spaulders), fully enclosed rerebrace and vambraces, full-wrap elbows (not fans), cuisses (one full-wrap - left/shield side, the other half), full greaves, plus of course the helm and gauntlets. The only thing I didn't wear was sabatons, as I never got them finished. The horrible blue closed-cell foam w/black fabric padding is what I wore under it, and definitely *does not* breathe well. :) Maybe I could have been competitive with some years of experience and some training; if I try SCA again, I'm going to go samurai with it. It could be a fun suit to make, since it's all smaller plates and lacing, I can probably tackle that. I've got 90% of the plates patterned out on poster board, if I just dust them off and finish up. A summer project, maybe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version