Main > The Armoury

Arrows vs. Mail -- was Re: Chainmail on a peasant's budget

<< < (3/8) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-08-31, 02:21:13 ---I'd suggest we start a new thread for this big one.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I was thinking the same thing. I've split it and moved this portion of the discussion back to the main Armory board.

James Barker:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-08-30, 18:41:34 ---Based on excavations, the longbows that were recovered averaged about 6'6" in length and 150 to 160 lbs draw weight, but ranged from 100 to over 180 lbs
--- End quote ---

Just to be clear that number is really guess work, the tested average of the extant bows was 108 pounds draw weight but people argue the bows are old and damaged so they likely were higher, between 120-160.

It is hard to say how powerful they were, we cannot get yew at the same density they had today, all the mini ice age trees have been harvested and their rings were denser do to the continued cold of that era.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Barker on 2011-08-31, 14:31:43 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-08-30, 18:41:34 ---Based on excavations, the longbows that were recovered averaged about 6'6" in length and 150 to 160 lbs draw weight, but ranged from 100 to over 180 lbs
--- End quote ---

Just to be clear that number is really guess work, the tested average of the extant bows was 108 pounds draw weight but people argue the bows are old and damaged so they likely were higher, between 120-160.

It is hard to say how powerful they were, we cannot get yew at the same density they had today, all the mini ice age trees have been harvested and their rings were denser do to the continued cold of that era.
--- End quote ---

That is an excellent and uncommonly known but very valid point James! :)
~ However on the flip –side of that, modern steel is far more durable than the middle ages and brings the question of them cancelling each other out?

Sir Edward:

Boy, the modern steel issue is another whole separate discussion. In summary, modern steel is much better, mainly due to homogenous carbon distribution. In period, folding was often necessary to achieve this.

But the other issue is silicate inclusions, which make the steel more brittle (and thus bad for blades). Modern steel has the silicates removed so as to be better steel. However, period steel would only rust at the surface and then stop, due to the silica. This is why period swords are still being dug up from rivers today, but a modern replica would turn to dust in no time under those conditions.

Sir Ulrich:
I think this video would demonstrate some idea of how resistant maille is to arrows

As you can see most arrows bounce off the maille and when they DO pierce it isn't nearly as harmful as you'd think due to the gambeson. Not sure how bodkins would fair though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version