Main > The Armoury

Arrows vs. Mail -- was Re: Chainmail on a peasant's budget

(1/8) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Used to have something similar to this when I was younger, ever since a young age I wanted a maille hauberk though. When I used to make butted maille I wasnt very satisfied with it after I tested a patch of it by shooting arrows and stabbing it with wooden sword, which went clear through it. I KNEW something was wrong with butted maille. Also used to make cardboard plate and a cardboard great helm which later got smashed by a wooden sword...

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2011-08-29, 18:10:30 ---Used to have something similar to this when I was younger, ever since a young age I wanted a maille hauberk though. When I used to make butted maille I wasnt very satisfied with it after I tested a patch of it by shooting arrows and stabbing it with wooden sword, which went clear through it. I KNEW something was wrong with butted maille. Also used to make cardboard plate and a cardboard great helm which later got smashed by a wooden sword...

--- End quote ---

LOL, nice story! Ive always wanted to shoot my chain with my crossbow....but i cant find medieval style bolts to work on a modern crossbow...the tips would just go through the chain itself since how theyre not made like >------> anymore. Theyre more like this now c----<  uhh thats supposed to be the head with the same size as the shaft lol....no not penises

Sir Ulrich:
If it's butted it WILL go through no exceptions, only riveted maille can resist arrows. High power crossbows WILL go through even riveted maille as well as plate though. All historical maille except examples for parades or japanese examples were riveted.

Sir Wolf:
slippery slope there. i have seen crossbow bolts bounce off of plate and arrows go into mail, all depends on how its made. :)

Sir William:
A medieval English longbow had range and power...but the average man will not be able to bend such a bow.  Extant records indicate the larger ones had draw poundages of 150 or more- similar to pulling a fully grown man up an edge with just one hand and arm; that much energy was more than enough to send an arrow through mail and plate.  Mail was quite useful in protecting against cuts and slashes, but not so much so for thrusts and projectile or impact weapons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version