Main > The Armoury

Breastplates and backplates

<< < (2/7) > >>

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-08-29, 01:05:00 ---Before you go chucking money away, what period are you doing?

My cuirass is from Merctailor. 16g throughout. Taken all the abuse I've thrown at in in stride.

--- End quote ---

crusades (14th i believe but i could be very wrong lol) going for a fantasy/legitimate look at same time

Sir Wolf:
no plate in the crusades on the body im affraid. at least during the first main 4 crusades

i have a 16 guage stainless b&b, is kinda heavy and over kill i think

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-08-29, 10:15:31 ---no plate in the crusades on the body im affraid. at least during the first main 4 crusades

i have a 16 guage stainless b&b, is kinda heavy and over kill i think

--- End quote ---

As Sir Wolf said, NO PLATE !!. One thing you could get away with is a Coat of plates. I`ve seen a long version of the Wisby style C.O.P. in the Osprey books; Teutonic Knight 1190-1561, and Knight Templar 1120-1312. Both look great for early C14th. A shorter one would be great for later in the period, especially under a shorter surcoat or tabard/dupon;
http://house-excelsior.com/images/wisby.jpg
I prefere to wear one of these for many reasons.

The only thing you may wear at a push, if you`re persona is high status, and much later in the C14th, is a Churburg segmented breast plate;
http://www.medievalrepro.com/Breastplates.htm

Or a globular breast plate (I think they also have one of these at Churburg)

Hope this helps,
G.

Sir William:
Leganoth, if you are looking to do a Templar kit then no plate for the most part; you might could get away with plate defenses on the lower arms and legs, the knees perhaps, but definitely no breastplate or cuirass.  Having said that, if you went with one of the other, longer-lived orders, then you could go plate to a certain degree.  Sir Nathan can tell you all you'd want to know about the Hospitalier and Teutonic Knights, myself and a few others can go at length regarding the Templars were you so inclined to read/listen.

First things first though...what do you ultimately wish to do with this kit?  IF it is just for show, then 18 gauge is perfectly acceptable...it will have the look without the requisite weight.  The mercenary harness on medieval collectibles is a good example.

Mercenary's Tailor is a separate entity; now Allan, the proprietor, makes all of his armor by hand to your measurements...when it comes to armor, it has been my experience that buying off the rack will only lead to disappointment as it wasn't built for you specifically, but for a range of sizes.  Armor made to fit you is much more comfortable to wear, is usually better made than the off the shelf stuff you see on line and will last longer and withstand more abuse.  Not to mention is pricing is very friendly.

Sir Rodney:
You can find a very good breast & backplate for $277 at The Mercenaries Tailor (highly recommended).

As noted above, the 14th century saw the development of the breastplate.  The whole "14th century backplate" issue is very hotly debated by those more knowledgeable than myself.  As such, I asked Allen at Merc Tailor to just produce the globular breastplate pictured in his catalog and I even asked for a custom stop-guard.  His price was very, very reasonable at a little more than half the cost of breast & back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version