Main > The Armoury

Breastplates and backplates

(1/7) > >>

Leganoth:
Where did you get yours? How thick is it? Any recomendations? Price?

Sir James A:
Mine are 16 gauge steel. Recommendations depend completely on what style/period you're arming for and whether or not you will be doing any fighting in it, or just for fun and looking cool. In general, 14 gauge is a "heavy duty" combat breastplate, 16 gauge is a "standard" combat breastplate, and 18 gauge is "decorative / dent magnet only".

I've seen prices from under $100 for cheap generic ebay ones, to about $8,500 for a custom gothic cuirass.

Sir Matthew:
I got my peascod from Illusion Armoury, it's 14 guage breast plate and 16 guage on the back plate and tassets. I got it for reenacting, so I went with the heavy duty. Allan at Mercenaries Tailor makes some very nice pieces for different time periods. My recomendation with armor is save up and buy quality pieces. I know they cost more, but in the long run the will last longer and take much more punishment than the cheaper alternatives. The also look better and will fit better. But this is just my opinion.

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: Sir Matthew on 2011-08-28, 23:16:21 ---I got my peascod from Illusion Armoury, it's 14 guage breast plate and 16 guage on the back plate and tassets. I got it for reenacting, so I went with the heavy duty. Allan at Mercenaries Tailor makes some very nice pieces for different time periods. My recomendation with armor is save up and buy quality pieces. I know they cost more, but in the long run the will last longer and take much more punishment than the cheaper alternatives. The also look better and will fit better. But this is just my opinion.

--- End quote ---

I was planning on getting the Merc steel cuirass off medieval collectibles or dark knight armory, its 18 gauge and it looks great for my kit but its not durable enough as i would want it :(. I dont have many medieval collector friends out in Southern Cali or re-enactments here, just doing it for hobby/looks but i want somthing durable. Since its going over my chain i dont want it to be super round or make me look like a fatty, also a surcoat will go over it so the Merc was flat and great looks

SirNathanQ:
Before you go chucking money away, what period are you doing?

My cuirass is from Merctailor. 16g throughout. Taken all the abuse I've thrown at in in stride.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version