"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Breastplates and backplates  (Read 12779 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Breastplates and backplates
« Reply #30 on: 2011-09-02, 02:04:56 »
I'm sure the materials could be found in your area.  Any metal fabricator will sell you scrap, or let you look through their dumpster.  All the other components can be found at a leather store near you.  Try Tandy Leather (I'm partial to them as I have friends that work there  ;) ).
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2011-09-02, 03:14:27 »
http://www.madmattsarmory.com/inv_body.php

They sell a kit right here for 65 bucks. I think you might need your own leather or canvas to attach it to but that saves your the effort of getting the metal yourself.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2011-09-02, 20:22:21 »
I'm sure the materials could be found in your area.  Any metal fabricator will sell you scrap, or let you look through their dumpster.  All the other components can be found at a leather store near you.  Try Tandy Leather (I'm partial to them as I have friends that work there  ;) ).

If you don't have a Tandy Leather nearby, I've ordered from Brettun's Village (http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/) quite a few times. I just got a big hunk of deliciously flavored cow skin, I mean, leather, from them yesterday, actually. As a bonus, they have punches, grommets, and misc fittings and other cool stuff to take away your money, too.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2011-09-06, 15:22:39 »
I've seen Matt's plans before...even an idiot like myself could do it given time and inclination.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€