"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: late 13th early 14th century Teutonic Knight Kit.  (Read 12118 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: late 13th early 14th century Teutonic Knight Kit.
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-30, 04:05:23 »
Haha, thanks Sir Ed!   :D

Boy will they be disappointed to learn the order's stance on such behavior......
Or how is it called these days...... "winning the Hearts and Minds of the local population"? That'll be a sufficient excuse I'm sure.... ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-30, 13:15:05 »

Which order? I can't speak to the Teutonic order, but the Order of the Marshal doesn't have a chastity clause. ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-30, 14:17:44 »
Your kit is awesome! It still amazes my how exceptional you kit is when compared to your youth! I envy you the long years you've yet to wear your armor whereas I only have a couple of years left! (eh, Sir William?  ;) )

He is never going to let me live that down...that was for ME, Sir Brian, for ME...but I'm quite certain I'll be singing a different song when I reach that age.  :)

Nathan...you will make other young men the world over very happy if you decide to go the chaste route.  I could not do it!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-31, 02:14:33 »
Yes, I was referring to the Teutonic Order. And no, I don't think Sir Brian will ever let you live that down.

Well in this persona, a ritterbrudern would have to, as I'm sure you know (as the resident Templar) the Military orders weren't so hot on all that jazz.

Good thing my superiors are all in Marienburg.  ::) 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-31, 18:48:54 »
Yea, I understood the reasoning behind that clause in the Orders, what I did not not understand was how many would sign up enthusiastically!  But then, my mindset's different...it is no longer frowned upon to engage in pre-marital relations so...there you have it.

Besides, if the priesthood struggles with it, imagine what a baser minded man like myself would be suffering?  I shudder at the thought!

lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-31, 19:05:25 »

I have a feeling people didn't adhere to that particular tenet as much as they claimed to.  ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-31, 20:22:52 »
Agreed...although I'm willing to be a higher percentage did back then as opposed to any who try it now...back then, the fear of death and Hell was nearly a palpable thing.  Back then, when oaths sworn actually meant something.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-31, 22:16:58 »
yes, and from what happened to the Templars upon "suspicion of heresy" (or simply owning money that didn't belong to the king of France) I think any order would be in a big stew of trouble if order members were out doing such things right and left .

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #23 on: 2012-07-24, 13:35:01 »
Yea, I understood the reasoning behind that clause in the Orders, what I did not not understand was how many would sign up enthusiastically!  But then, my mindset's different...it is no longer frowned upon to engage in pre-marital relations so...there you have it.

Besides, if the priesthood struggles with it, imagine what a baser minded man like myself would be suffering?  I shudder at the thought!

lol

I believe when the Templar Knights' numbers were dwindling in the downturn on the later Crusader days, the Templars ruling cast allowed for the ordaining of Templar Knights called "conferred" to appease the more militaristic part of the Order as to increase numbers & wealth to support their goals.  In which case, Templar Knight conferred were allowed to marry but must give onto the Order 1/2 their estate wealth. Is that factual??
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2012-07-24, 14:14:07 »
Interesting...that would make sense in a way, although I have not heard of that actually occurring.  Yet another 'secret' of the Templar Order, eh?  I'd buy it.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2012-08-08, 01:40:52 »
Wasn't much of a secret really. It's right there in the rule. A confrere knight was a knight who served for a specified amount of time. They offered a large donation or 1/2 their estate, and were allowed all the privileges and lifestyle of a brother knight besides the wearing of the mantle (and anything in relation to permanent monastic status).

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2012-08-08, 15:55:32 »
There you go, Lord Dane...Sir Nathan knows the Rules of the Christian Orders.  :)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2012-08-08, 16:24:07 »
There you go, Lord Dane...Sir Nathan knows the Rules of the Christian Orders.  :)

So he does. :)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2012-08-09, 06:06:49 »
I do my best to remain knowledgeable of the practices of my brethren in the other Military Orders  :)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2012-08-09, 06:27:53 »
I do my best to remain knowledgeable of the practices of my brethren in the other Military Orders  :)

I learned them by playing Total War 2: The Crusades repeatedly (and by reading other notable sources).  ::)