Main > The Armoury

Blackening a helmet

<< < (2/4) > >>

James Barker:
I have used the linseed oil trick and I have seen a trick with lamp black also that turned out nice.

I spray painted an SCA helmet it looks nothing like original helmets with oil based paints on them.

Sir William:
So...which method will you use, Ulrich?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Matthew on 2011-08-24, 01:49:54 ---I used a chemicle gun blueing agent to treat my peascod breast and back and two helmets. If you apply this very thickly and leave it on there wet for a minute or two you will get a very dark finish. The only real care you need to take is to make sure you are applying the same amount accross the helmet to get an even finish and allowing it to sit for for about the same time before wiping it off, again for an even finish. After doing this, wait about an hour or so, then treat with a 3 in 1 or gun oil, do not use WD40 as it is synthetic. This is to prevent rust and to seal the blueing process.

--- End quote ---

I was about to mention asking Sir Matthew, as he recently posted pics of a similar process. :)

Sir Ulrich:
I'm thinking of doing it with paint because I can't heat the helm up due to the liner being riveted into it, just need the right kind of paint to do it with. Gonna go with shades of red and black probably mostly black with a red cross of some sort on the side or make the center ridge of the kettle helm red with the rest black or something. What sort of oil paint should I use and do I need a primer for it first?

Leganoth:
@Sir Brian/Edward 

Since we all have the same helm or variants of it, what paints would be good to paint over the brass cross?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version