Main > The Armoury

Blackening a helmet

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Brian:
Painting over any metal surface should first be cleaned and wiped down with either alcohol or thinner. Apply a coat of metal primer and then top coat to your pleasure. Enamel based paints are more readily available and cheaper than epoxy based paints but not as durable. Acrylic paints are also prominent and cheap but the least durable.

Good luck and take lots of before and after pictures!  :)

Sir Edward:

Yep, and actually you might consider scuffing the surface a bit before applying the primer, with a fine-grit sandpaper for instance. Or, you can get a self-etching automotive primer. But even just a basic primer without sanding will work. It just sticks better if you scuff the surface first, and scuff the primer before adding your top coats.

If you go with a light color, like white, you may need several coats if it's going over a dark primer. So it's better to choose a light or dark primer based on what you intend to go over it.

James Barker:
Best spray paint for metal I have found is rustoleum rust remover. It is what most of the armorers are using inside their armor. It will scrape off if it takes lots of metal on metal abuse though. My Historic Enterprise arms still have all the paint on the inside after a good 7 years of use. I sprayed my CoP plates with it and where the plate and rivets over lap the paint comes off but not anywhere else.

Sir Ulrich:
My helmet currently. I am planning on painting it black except for the central band which I plan to paint red, Considering spray paint for it because I want a nice even coat and I'm not exactly an artist. But I think it would be more period to do it with a brush, maybe even more rustic looking as well, so I may just use spray paint as a primer only.

Sir Ulrich:
So I got 2 choices for spray paint, glossy or non glossy. What was period? I would assume not glossy but I ain't 100% sure.
I still would like to know what kind of spray paint would look most period. If not I'm just gonna apply a spray primer and then go over it with regular paint, I ALSO don't mind if it gets weathered a bit, as I tend to prefer things to look more weathered as opposed to looking all brand new.
Heres examples of a kettle helm similar to mine that are also painted and worn looking at the same time,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version