Main > The Armoury

Got my chausses and 13th century underwear package

<< < (5/7) > >>

James Barker:
I have a 16g CoP I have used for years for SCA, no dents, but I find it too heavy. I am going to use the 18g from here on.

Sir William:
Sir James, you're rather large and strong...if you find it heavy, I'm certain I will.  I think 18ga for a CoP is perfectly ok, so long as you've got padding and mail, or lots of padding w/out mail underneath.

Sir Rodney:
I concur with James.  In fact, my current SCA coat of plates actually has hidden plastic plates for that very same reason!  (Please don't hate me)  I'm not getting any younger and the weight difference is huge.

Sir Edward:

I really don't mind cheating on materials most of the time. We don't have the opportunity to practice in our armor for hours every day, and thus stay in the same kind of shape that historical knights would have. Comfortable armor is a good thing. :)

Sir William:
I remember when the pickle barrel armor first came out years ago...I've seen some really crappy stuff come out but it was about functionality, not looks.  Pitbull Armory actually made harnesses out of the same pickle barrels but they were actually good looking.  Up close of course you could tell, but he took the time to shape and form the pieces so it didn't look like you were wearing a cut up barrel like some of the others.  lol

I've also heard good things about the use of high impact plastic as an alternative to steel...perfect for the SCA since they're not doing any steel combat, its all rattan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version