Main > The Armoury

Maille Tailor

(1/5) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Does anyone know who tailors maille? Preferably at affordable pricing.
I got my GDFB maille yesterday, and I'm quite happy with it, though tailoring the sleeves will be a bigger challenge then I thought.
Turns out the tube sleeve isn't the big issue. The armpit extends too deeply. And from what I've heard, armpits are a big scary thing with maille. So I think I'll just get the stuff tailored. Anyone know anyone who does this?

Sir Brian:
Congratulations on your new addition!
I am a little perplexed though by your description of the issue with your armpits?

--- Quote ---The armpit extends too deeply.
--- End quote ---
Can you take a picture and post it or expand a little of what you are talking about?  ???

Do you mean you have too much excess under your arms which actually limits you from lowering them all the way?  :-\

Sir William:
Unfortunately, no...it would be a costly and painstaking process...which might end up costing more than the hauberk itself did, depending on what you needed done.  If it were easy, we could do it ourselves!

Now, I know both Sir James' tailor their own mail as does Sirs Brian and Edward, but of them all, he (James Anderson) seems to be the most dedicated to doing it- at least his own mail.  Worth a shot to ask him if he'd help out.

SirNathanQ:
Too much excess under the arms. The mobility isn't a big issue. If you can imagine they made it for a grandma with a raging case of Bingo wings

I think I'll simply cut a seam down the bottom of the sleeve, and use butted links to sew it up when I've removed all I want

Sir Edward:
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who customizes mail for others. Most of us who've done some tailoring have grudgingly done it just to make it fit better on ourselves, and probably couldn't be paid enough to do it for any other reason. :)

Having said that, there are some small-time mail vendors at some of the local faires. One of them from VARF is in my facebook friends list. I could shoot him a note and ask if he does that sort of thing. Or put you in contact with him.

Like Sir Brian, I'd love to see what you're talking about. Do you mean the armpit of the sleeve is too low on the torso, because of how wide the sleeve tube is? I've found that with the new GDFB haubergeon I got, when I clamp the 14th C. plate arms over it, it's slightly awkward because of how large the sleeves are at the armpit. I'm wondering if that's what you're running into? (EDIT: You posted while I was typing this. Yes, this is the problem.)

The armpits can be a little scary to work with, yes, but it doesn't need to be too bad. I made an exceedingly simple design on my aluminum hauberk. I never closed the seam there, just so I can raise my arms over my head without it pulling (this can be mitigated with a diamond-shaped expansion, or some-such), but if I hold my arms straight out, the seams line up real nicely. And all I did was leave some diagonal edges on both the sleeve and the torso.

Somewhere I have a diagram. I'll have to look for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version