Main > The Armoury

New Shield Project.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
I have made a few of these shields in my time, along with the usual curved heater shields. I would be interested to see how you go about it yourself.  ;)
G.

Sir William:
I was going to say Ron of Ye Olde Gaffers might be of help, he has some detailed write ups on how to make shields but his are for the kite and heater style shields. 

Interested to see what you come up with and how easy it is...I remember you commenting one should just make a shield if it is needed, so let us see how it turns out. 

Thorsteinn:
@ Ser William: I made the one in my profile pic. Even dished the boss for it. Learned alot of what to do and not do, what is quick and not quick.

For this next one I will be using a boss my Dad bought me some years back and I've yet to use.

The shield will be 29"-30" across and probably made from 2 layers of 1/4" birch plywood. I will face it with canvas and gesso it with a glue, water, and ... maybe drywall patch compound. I will be edging it with rawhide dog chews sewn together and probably be using artificial sinew to secure the rawhide to save one weight. I may add some strips of steel like danelaw called for but only if its light.

Any suggestions on what wood to use for the handle?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-08-09, 14:47:51 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-08-09, 13:44:00 ---
What is this hand-sewing you speak of? :)

I don't have squires or seamstresses. So I use a machine. 'Nuff said. :)

--- End quote ---

That 'Machine' Sir Edward is referring to is a wondrous contraption some of us possess that is inhabited by industrious but miscreant gnomes who will rapidly sew almost anything you may desire however in order to get the gnomes to work at all you must continuously lambast them with an unending stream of profanities...well that’s how my sewing machine works at least!  :D

--- End quote ---

It would be appear that you and I have the same gnomes in our machines, Sir Brian.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-08-10, 00:03:48 ---@ Ser William: I made the one in my profile pic. Even dished the boss for it. Learned alot of what to do and not do, what is quick and not quick.

For this next one I will be using a boss my Dad bought me some years back and I've yet to use.

The shield will be 29"-30" across and probably made from 2 layers of 1/4" birch plywood. I will face it with canvas and gesso it with a glue, water, and ... maybe drywall patch compound. I will be edging it with rawhide dog chews sewn together and probably be using artificial sinew to secure the rawhide to save one weight. I may add some strips of steel like danelaw called for but only if its light.

Any suggestions on what wood to use for the handle?

--- End quote ---

Cocobolo if you can get it; a Central American product, keeps a nice grippable surface and a durable hardwood, usually used as gun or knife handles because the wood withstands extended handling as well as moisture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version