Main > The Armoury

Great helm liners

<< < (8/12) > >>

Sir Edward:
Speaking of liners, I picked up a couple of bascinet liners that I might be able to make work with the great-helms. The camp-foam works, but isn't very historical. :) Something padded with linen will be nicer in the long-run.

Sir Brian:
Yeah the camp foam isn't very absorbent either!  :P

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
There is actually evidence for the ringed arming coif. I will have a look and link it here.
G.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-11-08, 23:00:20 ---
--- Quote from: James Barker on 2011-11-08, 20:21:26 ---I know I am coming to this thread rather late but I think I have the answer on the liners for you. I do not beleive early great helmets were themselves padded, instead the wearer had a padded coif under the maille, or a padded roll attached to the coif on the outside, a skull cap with padding above or under the maille coif layer, or a small bascinet helmet that was padded under the great helm.

Skull caps are seen in the 12th century straight through the GH era. The bascinet is a 14th century helmet. The padded roll is seen in 12th and 13th century effigies.

If you look here you can see both the small helmet and padded roll options http://www.themcs.org/armour/14th%20century%20armour.htm

If you look at this Maciejowski bible image (1250) you see the point is back the the knight in front has a skull cap under the maille. 

Effigies of early crusaders show the padded roll I mention:

--- End quote ---

Found this but still not sure if it would fill the helm  http://steel-mastery.com/en/padded-armour/padded-hoods-and-caps/linen/flax-liner-for-great-helm

--- End quote ---

In fact the evidence is in Leganoths link.They are wearing ring topped coifs the would give the appearance of a flat topped coif when worn under a maile coif.This would have given perfect ( as far as medieval people where concerned) protection under a pot helm or early great helm.
G.

Sir Brian:
Sir Nathan:
These attached edited pictures with the red arrows show the Jack Nuts that I inserted into the base of the crest mount. I ensured to epoxy the 1/4 X 20 sized Jack Nut since it didn't completely penetrate the mount. You don't have to use a Jack Nut and can epoxy really any type of nut you want into the mount although I would avoid those Brazilian nuts as they are just 'odd' looking!  ;)

The mount is secured to the helm by two 1/4 X 20 bolts coming through the top of the helm into the Jack Nuts in the mount.

Here is a video as well on how Jack Nut tools work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version